The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the factory LSD short ratio?

marc_p

The reason I ask this is because when I was at the Supra xmas meet me and Havard were talking about motorway driving in the Supra and I always felt like I wanted to change up a gear (yes I know I have the 5 speed so please no 'well get a 6 speed box' comments :D), anyway it turns out my revs higher at the same speeds eg. 4000 @ 80, so is the factory LSD a shorter ratio?

Cheers, but it doesn't say if the LSD ratios are different or not.

The final drive gearing is different on the NA, 6spd and auto models. The EPC images below shows the different final drive gear ratios in the end column.

J-Spec

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9813/picture2di0.png

I then have 2 European EPC options for the JZA80 a shown below.

European

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8536/picture3eg3.png http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1044/picture4nm7.png

Toyota sell final drive gear set kit if you wanted to change yours, they're not particularly cheap though.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7979/picture1vv2.png

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Are you comparing a 6spd TT and 5spd NA? The NA 5spd gearbox and final drive gearing are shorter on the NA compared to a TT 6spd.

Hi Nic,

Nope, both mine and Havards are 5 speed N/A's but mine sits at higer revs at the same speed, I was just wondering if the fact it has an LSD has anything to do with it?

Hi Nic,

Nope, both mine and Havards are 5 speed N/A's but mine sits at higer revs at the same speed, I was just wondering if the fact it has an LSD has anything to do with it?

If they are both NA 5spd's then the final drive gearing should be the same ie. 12 - 4.083, so the rpms should be the same in the same gear at the same speed.

If they are both NA 5spd's then the final drive gearing should be the same ie. 12 - 4.083, so the rpms should be the same in the same gear at the same speed.

Oh.........back to the garage for a checkover I think before something else breaks:(

Oh.........back to the garage for a checkover I think before something else breaks:(

How are you comparing, just using the stock rev counter? There could be some difference between the accuracy of the rev counters.

If you both have 5spd boxes and the stock 5spd rear diff, then both should be revving the same, at the same speed, in the same gear.

What wheels/tyres do you both have, different rolling radius would cause a gearing difference between the 2 vehicles. A slipping clutch or wheel spin would cause the revs to raise.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

How are you comparing, just using the stock rev counter? There could be some difference between the accuracy of the rev counters.

If you both have 5spd boxes and the stock 5spd rear diff, then both should be revving the same, at the same speed, in the same gear.

What wheels/tyres do you both have, different rolling radius would cause a gearing difference between the 2 vehicles. A slipping clutch or wheel spin would cause the revs to raise.

Well I was just looking at the FAQ and the higher the speed gets the greater the difference get's between my revs and the stock revs.

Mine is on 19's with(I assume) stock box and (again, I assume) stock LSD, It has had a new clutch and flywheel relatively recently so there should be know slipping.

If I remember correctly the RPM vs Speed(in fifth) goes like so:

3000 @ 60

4000 @ 80

5000 @ 100

6000 @ 120

although give or take a couple of hundred rpm's on those figures.