The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get Front discs?

supra_si

Having changed my pads last night i noticed my discs had seen better days so lookign to get some new OEM discs as ive heard they are pretty darn good to start with.

Where can i get hold them and are they hard to fit for a novice DIY 'er

ps how much would i be looking at spending for OEM discs

theres a company on ebay that i have used, great brakes!

there local to my house i bought front disks, rear disks, rear shoes - genuine toyota and pads all round for a ridiculously low price around £200 i think.

Anyways heres a link to there ebay shop, give them a call:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-ARISTO-3-0-4-0-SOARER-2-5-SUPRA-BRAKE-DISCS-REAR_W0QQitemZ280232701088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item280232701088&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

ever since i have had their brakes on my car i havent had a single issue, car brakes brilliant and no squeeks or rattles.

As for fitting, not difficult just a few bolts to take off but make sure you have strong rachets for the calliper bolts, copper grease and a brake piston push tool.

Guest Budz86

I've just bought some J Spec front disc's from Mr T, £142 inc delivery. That was with a club discount.

I think I did see a guide on here somewhere. I'm planning on doing mine at the weekend so could do with finding it again!

Guest vvtiguy

i've always bought my discs/pads from brakes4u.co.uk

their oem discs are brembo and are cheaper than the genuine toyota ones. you can specify them to be grooved/drilled to for extra.

Sorry a (very slight) thread hijack, but while we are on the topic - whenever I put new discs on they look great but very quickly get a rust sheen on them, however you see a lot of more modern cars with really exposed brakes and they have no rust at all, is this due to a better disc to being with or is the disc coated in something after purchasing?

i think it is dependant on the disc, i think some are coated

How can they be coated ? as soon as you use the brakes the coating would wear off, its more than likely down to the differant materials being used to make them, some being more ferrous than others would be my guess.

Not being used frequently also gives the disc a chance to corrode on its bare surface :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Sorry a (very slight) thread hijack, but while we are on the topic - whenever I put new discs on they look great but very quickly get a rust sheen on them, however you see a lot of more modern cars with really exposed brakes and they have no rust at all, is this due to a better disc to being with or is the disc coated in something after purchasing?

The only disc's that are not going to rust are ceramic, the others you have seen are just used on a regular basis and don't have time to develop any rust, IE used every day.

The only disc's that are not going to rust are ceramic, the others you have seen are just used on a regular basis and don't have time to develop any rust, IE used every day.

I don't reckon thats the case as they are perfect all over, right from the outside right into the center, which the pad wont touch...thats generally the areas I'm on about

I don't reckon thats the case as they are perfect all over, right from the outside right into the center, which the pad wont touch...thats generally the areas I'm on about

Well they may well have an anti corrosive coating that prevents the non contact areas from rust, at least for a while, but there won't be any on the contact area, and they don't make disc's from non ferrous metal IE stainless steel as its not as good with friction/heat dispersion.

Well they may well have an anti corrosive coating that prevents the non contact areas from rust, at least for a while, but there won't be any on the contact area, and they don't make disc's from non ferrous metal IE stainless steel as its not as good with friction/heat dispersion.

Just had a little look...yeh you can definatly get some painted:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/AfterMarketBrakes/Products/ProductsPainted.htm

https://www.ssfautoparts.com/public/promo/zimmerman/zimmerman_0408.asp

Seems as though anti-corrosion coating might be becoming more standard having read this:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/463760

Also, seen this spray paint...not sure if its very good though, would be pretty wary of it....

http://www.sonax.com/sonax-e/katalog_product.php?show_cat=18&show_product=446300

Edited by meph137 (see edit history)