The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-Single or TT-Single?

James

Looking into the feasability of both of these and it has me wondering - is it completely pointless to go from NA-single rather than starting off with a TT and taking it from there?

Obviously a NA would be cheaper to come by in good condition and low milage (more probable to come by aswell I'd reckon ;)) and then that could be single turb'd from there. Would that end up skinning me more than just finding a tasty TT and then working with that?

My train of thought is that if fuel rails, injectors, manifold, ECU etc. etc. are all being changed anyway, then would I not be aswell to start with the NA?

My confusion and lack of total insight into this is what has me posting the query ;) :search:

Apologies if this is a repost - just link me to an appropriate thread if so (link to the search function doesn't count (:p)

Thanks people :D

What are your ultimate aims for the car in terms of use and power ie. what are you wanting achieve? What is your budget?

That's very true it all depends on what your aims are with the car. If your going 500BHP or over then definately start with the TT otherwise your going to need to change alot, including the 5-speed gearbox which won't handle the power.

If your just looking for 350BHP or so then yeah it might be worth sticking with the NA but be wary as there are mixed views towards NA-T's. They can be reliable if you don't skimp on anything and you do it perfectly, otherwise be prepared to open your wallet.

That's very true it all depends on what your aims are with the car. If your going 500BHP or over then definately start with the TT otherwise your going to need to change alot, including the 5-speed gearbox which won't handle the power.

If your just looking for 350BHP or so then yeah it might be worth sticking with the NA but be wary as there are mixed views towards NA-T's. They can be reliable if you don't skimp on anything and you do it perfectly, otherwise be prepared to open your wallet.

If it was just 350 he wanted then surely TT bpu all the way.

What are your ultimate aims for the car in terms of use and power ie. what are you wanting achieve? What is your budget?

I don't know what my ultimate budget will be, more looking into the pros and cons of what would be the best way to go about it :)

As a round number I'd say circa 500bhp but ideally it'd still be as near usable as stock that I wasn't limiting my use completely :D

From what i've heard the 5spd doesn't handle single power very well so if you want a manual that's a fairly expensive consideration. I thought you didn't even have a Supra yet, and you're thinking of going single already :D? lol

If I went for a facelift SZ-R I'd get the 6spd stock so the 5 wouldn't be an issue in that aspect :)

You're right Rick, not yet, but I'm just trying to investigate my options for when the time comes :)

I don't know what my ultimate budget will be, more looking into the pros and cons of what would be the best way to go about it :)

As a round number I'd say circa 500bhp but ideally it'd still be as near usable as stock that I wasn't limiting my use completely :D

If I went for a facelift SZ-R I'd get the 6spd stock so the 5 wouldn't be an issue in that aspect :)

You're right Rick, not yet, but I'm just trying to investigate my options for when the time comes :)

For 500BHP you'd be better starting with TT

The search function really would have been better than asking the question for the five millionth time but since I'm in a charitable mood:

You need a TT engine as a base, then add a single turbo (GT35r or T61 for your desired power). It's likely to cost you the best part of £15k for a fairly good setup.

I wouldn't try and do things cheaply, it's a good way to get poor quickly.

How long are you planning on keeping it? Personally i would go for a nice facelift N/A 6spd like you say and single it. Your most likely going to spend the same on the N/A as you would the TT to do the conversion anyway. Might as well get the benefit of saving money and facelift to boot.

How long are you planning on keeping it? Personally i would go for a nice facelift N/A 6spd like you say and single it. Your most likely going to spend the same on the N/A as you would the TT to do the conversion anyway. Might as well get the benefit of saving money and facelift to boot.

But it would be better for him to begin with a TT wouldn't it? That way he's got far more scope for mods, and can do it in steps so he can get used to the power.

But it would be better for him to begin with a TT wouldn't it? That way he's got far more scope for mods, and can do it in steps so he can get used to the power.

I honestly have no idea. I'm just trying to think of it from a budget point of view. You right with regards to the power though. Going from no supra to 500bhp supra would be pretty dangerous.

If he is eventually after a manual then i would probably go with the N/A though, from a money point of view.. not safety.

6Spd N/A Facelift.... 5k?

N/A-T........ 10k?

Auto TT ... £5k? (Facelift 7k?)

TT-T........10k?

6Spd..... £8k? (facelift 10k?)

TT-T......£10K?

Newest car with a 6spd box works out the cheapest if starting off with an N/A. The major downfall is that for some reason people steer clear of NA-T's when buying so they don't go for a lot of cash. Starting with a facelift gives you the best chance though.

The search function really would have been better than asking the question for the five millionth time but since I'm in a charitable mood:

You need a TT engine as a base, then add a single turbo (GT35r or T61 for your desired power). It's likely to cost you the best part of £15k for a fairly good setup.

I wouldn't try and do things cheaply, it's a good way to get poor quickly.

Yeah man apologies for asking, I had a search for stuff on singles from NA but didn't find something as straight cut in defining the difference between both routes. :)

That's what I was wondering, is it much easier to start with a TT base and expand on that than going NA and replacing components from then on (figured most of the stuff from the TT would be getting upgraded anyway, so as Scotster was suggesting, the different base spec would be irrelevant for the most part? Asking as I don't know, rather than debating your suggestion ;)).

It's not really that I intend on doing it cheaply, simply as I said in the paragraph just before this one (I think :p).

Thanks very much for the insight thus far though, much appreciated :)

TT then single, na-t is very expensive and you'll have to live with crappy reliability and most have problems with idle and iffy fuelling on overrun. Also if you want a decent sized turbo it wont fit past your distributor without clocking the manifold and if you want decent power your ignition will need to be amplified also and you'll need to drop compression, usually with a gasket but you probably shouuld do it with pistons. If your not after big power then just bpu a TT engine and stick it in. Someone made a very good suggestion about an sz-r then putting a TT in that with its v161.