The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Definitive Single List

Scott

I have been browsing about the forum reading up on all the people going single at the moment and it got me thinking about a definitive list for a single build.

There is loads and loads of information all over this forum but most of it is scattered over different threads. What is the actual definitive list for going single? Obviously there will be variations such as Auto, Manual and N/A so what is the list for each spec?

I have a 6spd TT Facelift Non-VVTi and i was thinking...

Turbo Kit

Ecu (standalone or piggy back dependant on need)

Bigger Injectors (again dependant on spec required)

Bigger Fuel Pump (walbro or decent bosch)

Upgraded Clutch

2nd De-Cat

Decent Cat Back Exhaust

Air Filter

I was thinking auto would be pretty much the same but possibly including uprated gearbox?

I know i have missed out loads but thats the reason for me starting this thread. No doubt a lot of people who start single builds are like me and only think of the main parts. Are all the gasket's and return lines included in the kits? Is any fabrication necessary etc etc etc. Obviously labour goes in on top of this also.

What is actually NEEDED to build a reliable single and not cut any corners.

There is no definitive list as such, as it will depend on the type of kit used (ie. what is included), the model of Supra, turbo spec, condition of engine/ancillaries, etc. but as an example I will list everything I would recommend if fitting one of the HKS/Garrett GT35R kits I sell.

TURBO

HKS/Garrett GT35R Turbo Kit

Turbo Blanket - recommended

Exhaust/Manifold Heat Bandage - optional

BOV - optional

BOV Flange - optional - welding required.

FUELING Option 1

Injectors - 650cc side feed/high impedance to fit stock rail

Fuel Pump - Bosch 044 or Walbro

FUELING option 2

Fuel Rail

Injectors - 650cc top feed/high impedance

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Braided Fuel lines/fittings

ELECTRONICS

ECU + sensors + harnesses

Gauges - Boost, EGT, AFR, Fuel Pressure, Oil Temp, etc. - bosses /sandwich plates needed to mount sensors - some welding may be required. Pod to mount gauges.

Spark plugs

Boost Controller (electronic or manual) - optional as the turbo could be run of the wastegate spring, but I'd personally recommend an electronic controller where boost can be mapped according to speed/throttle position (eg. HKS EVC VI).

RLTC - optional, but recommended.

COOLING

SMIC or FMIC - this particular kit includes IC pipe to fit HKS FMIC, modification/welding may be necessary to fit other intercoolers

Radiator Coolant

Radiator - optional - important that the rad is in good condition

Oil Cooler

Auto Gear Box Cooler - if auto

EXHAUST

Cat Back Exhaust

2nd Decat Pipe

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch & Release Bearing - if manual

Gear Box Oil

ENGINE

Intake & Exhaust Cam - optional

Adjustable Cam Sprockets - optional

Oil Filter

Engine Oil

Oil Pump - optional but recommended

I'd always budget for the unexpected, such as replacement radiator, new coil packs, water pump, etc. as unforeseen 'gotchas' tend to happen.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

How about doing a single build register like the ECU register, we could do a nice table that details the parts fitted etc.

Perhaps we can combine the two and link the turbo kit to the members garage where it lists parts fitted.

eg.

[table=head]Nic|HKS F-Con V Pro|Manual|Garrett GT3582R|HKS Pro dealer|10/10|542.7PS[/table]

Ahh that sounds way better than the idea i had. Shame i don't have a single and will be relegated from the list ;)

Good thinking Wez/Nic, thanks for the info :)

My reason for starting this thread is there are so many options to view when deciding to go single. Some people will have the money to get the whole lot done in the one go, other people won't. I was basically wondering what was required to go single while still doing it properly. Using Jamie as an example, he got absolutely LOADS done to his car and spent over £20k. How much of that was down to necessity when going single and not down to building a dream car though? I'm pretty sure most people with well done cars will probably have spent the same... some over time and some in an instant.

I think Nic answered my question perfectly, there are lots of optional extras and niceties that can be bought to enhance the car but that are not necessary at the time of building.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

This would be the minimum I would fit, I would never advocate (as some do) to run on stock fueling and ECU. Again using the kit I sell just as an example (other kits may require additional parts).

TURBO

HKS/Garrett GT35R Turbo Kit

Turbo Blanket

FUELING

Injectors - 650cc side feed/high impedance to fit stock rail

ELECTRONICS

ECU + sensors + harnesses - piggyback ECU (eg. Emanage Ultimate) would be the cheapest option, I would personally save more and fit standalone ECU though.

Gauges - Boost, EGT, AFR + bosses + gauge pod

Spark plugs - may need 2 sets

COOLING

Stock SMIC - provided it is in good condition

Radiator Coolant

Oil Cooler

Auto Gear Box Cooler - if auto

EXHAUST

Cat Back Exhaust

2nd Decat Pipe

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch & Release Bearing - if manual

Gear Box Oil

ENGINE

Oil Filter

Engine Oil

Some other advice for anyone considering going single.

1. Do your research, talk to someone who REALLY knows their stuff (not any T, D or H driving an X000hp Supra), learn as much as possible and plan what parts you will need and how much it will cost you, budget an extra 30% to cover any unforeseen problems.

2. Only install quality parts fit for purpose, eg. if you balk at the price of a quality turbo kit and think that a cheap 'Ebay special' will do, then forget about going single.

3. Choose who does the install wisely, do your research and find someone you know will do the job 'properly'. Discuss with them everything in detail up front, get an itemised quote for the work (parts and labour) so that you both understand and agree what is expected of each party.

4. Choose who will do the mapping, again do your research, the mapper can make the difference between a reliable, fast single Supra or a ticking time bomb waiting to go :bang:

5. Before going ahead with any install I would get the engine compression tested and make sure all stock ancillaries (oil pump, water pump, radiator, coil packs, SMIC, etc.) are in good working order. Far better to replace parts first than have them fail after the install.

Realistically adding up all these figures 10k really does get you a proper single including labour. Looks like around £6.5k for parts if buying brand new.

Am i right in guessing around 1k for mapping etc? Whats the ballpark rate for fitting all that kit? 1-3k?

Just as a little addition for people who may be thinking of going "small" and then "big" what is the cost difference then? Is it better to plan ahead and get say 800cc injectors rather than 650's? I know its not just a case of sticking on a new turbo so what is actually involved?

New Manifold

Adequate fueling

Re-Mapping

Is it lots more or is it a far easier upgrade?

Just as a little addition for people who may be thinking of going "small" and then "big" what is the cost difference then? Is it better to plan ahead and get say 800cc injectors rather than 650's? I know its not just a case of sticking on a new turbo so what is actually involved?

New Manifold

Adequate fueling

Re-Mapping

Is it lots more or is it a far easier upgrade?

Provided the manifold has T4 flange then it would be a straight swap to fit a larger turbo at a later date (you'd need to have same flange for the downpipe as well on both turbos). Most kits for the Supra use a T4 manifold/turbo flange, there are some that use T3 flange, which would limit the size of turbo (eg. the Garrett GT35R is the largest turbo available with T3 flange).

Using the examples of the kits I sell again, it would be a straight swap from a GT35R to say a T-04Z, as both have T4 turbo/manifold flange and same diameter V-band downpipe flange.

If say you went for a GT35, T61, etc. size turbo and may fit a larger turbo (eg. T04, GT40, T67, etc.) in future, then I would fit 800cc injectors to start with to give you some head room. This will not be a problem with a standalone ECU, but you may have problems managing the 800cc injectors with say a piggyback Emanage.

You would need to get the ECU remapped for the larger turbo.

Another thing to consider would be intercooler choice, in (very) simple terms the bigger the turbo the greater the airflow the bigger/more efficient the intercooler needs to be. eg. where you may get away with using a 2 row FMIC for the smaller GT35, it would not cope with a larger turbo.

Check the first post in my project thread for an idea on costings and what needed for a modest install thats still on a stock engine.

I thought about your car instantly Jamie, how much of it is actually needed for a single and not your preference to have though? You basically built the dream supra from the ground up leaving no stone unturned.

Hope u don't mind me copying and pasting

Boostlogic T67 turbo kit

water line kit Needed?

Boostogic FMIC kit Needed?

HKS dli

RPS street max clutch = £3945 new (These part are from Kyle, if you want a break down on parts prices pm him.) Pretty sure a half decent clutch for a single would be a lot less than this surely? I have a 560ft/lb RPS Street Max clutch in my MR2 and it was less than £400

LM-2 = £242 new No idea what this is lol

Power enterprize 800cc drop in = £390 new

R7436-9 NGK Spark plugs = £150 new

Apexi EGT Gauge

Apexi Boost Gauge= £100 SH

HKS Ti 4"= £600 Needed?

Tial 50mm BOV =£133

Silicon pipe =£110

Bosch 044 fuel pump= £155

Driftworks oil cooler= £175

Clutch release bearing= £35

AEM water/meth kit= £249 Needed?

Boostlogic Turbo blanket= £100

Solaris S6GP = £1468.75

Greddy intake manifold= 650 Needed?

Q45 throttle body = £100 Needed?

JUN cam gears= £227 (yet to be fitted) Needed?

JUN Camshafts 256/256 =£578 (yet to be fitted) Needed?

Parts supplied by SRD (belts/oils/heat sheild/clutch bearing/gaskets/welding etc)= £672.38

Labour for fitting of all the parts by SRD= £1500

More labour for fitting intake manifold plus, moving oil cooler, new water lines for turbo

upgrading breather system a load of associated parts etc =£1300 Needed?

Mapping and dyno time £560

If i had unlimited money i would probably go for something exactly like, or very similar to, your spec. In my position if i was to even consider it i would need to make sure i didn't over spend on unnecessary things.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Yup a lot of the parts are needed, you can knock the cams off and the greddy intake, the clutch is a cheap one, the £3495 was for all the parts i got from Kyle.

The water lines are for the dbb turbo

FMIC or a decent smic is needed.

The water injection is nice to have imo.

you could save a few quid on a cheaper exhaust.

10 grand will do a decent build imo.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Yup a lot of the parts are needed, you can knock the cams off and the greddy intake, the clutch is a cheap one, the £3495 was for all the parts i got from Kyle.

Ahh that makes much more sense. I almost had a heart attack when i saw that next to the clutch lol.

I love the idea of water injection and its definitely something i would add later in life. Basically i would, in the end, want most of the things that you have already. I would be building my car up to that. The first step is obviously the biggest so i was wondering what was necessary for that first step. From there the options are limitless as it can be done a bit at a time.

cheers :)

10k isn't actually that much when you consider how fast and how well it'll perform afterwards.

Must feel like a new or different car now surely - or can you still tell its a supra underneath but faster in a straight line? Hope that makes sense..

10k isn't actually that much when you consider how fast and how well it'll perform afterwards.

Must feel like a new or different car now surely - or can you still tell its a supra underneath but faster in a straight line? Hope that makes sense..

Ive been in some awefull singles that are hell to drive, my car feels a lot like a stock car, quiet clutch with a soft peddle, plush interior with no gauges plastered all over the place. just a DASH2 that does everything i need in one place, soft suspension, the only thing that gives away to the cars potential is the exhaust note.