The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spool on single

supraspeed

ok i soon get my car back and then a 6spd conversion is being done hopefully next month. After this is done i am going to divert my attention to the turbo setup. ive have an unknown make of turbo as its got surface rust and a cover hiding it so dont know yet. problem is the turbo spools up at around 5500rpm (this maybe because i havent had time to have it mapped/boost checked yet) so makes the car a bit dull in 1st and 2nd...well until the last split second in 2nd until it hits the rev limiter lol. The turbo isn't massive anyway but i would have thought it would be spooling a lot earlier than this. if it turns out my turbo is a bit knackered or a shi* make then what would be a good turbo to have for fast spool but still make around the 450/500bhp mark? this is my current turbo anyway if anyone can identify it :)

Supra 007 edit.JPG

Supra 008 edit.JPG

Do you know anything about the specification?

ECU? Kit fitted? Internal mods? Boost its running?

I think you would find it hard to ID it from those pictures.

ecu is hks....something fcon i think

unkown( or i might have lost the spec list...) internals is what you see on the pics lol....jap names and a few blitz's thrown in....nothing from turbofit yet though lol

i only just got the boost gauge working but being currently a n/a gearbox i'm not boosting it at the moment so i don't no a t m

i'm terrible:rolleyes:

It looks a small turbo when compared to a normal laggy single like an old T78/88 so i can't see it being that laggy with everthing else ok.

So is the late boosting down to a part fubared exhaust turbine or possibly an always partially open wastegate?

Just complete guesses.

Best advice, start again. With a TT :)

i'm determined to sort this car no matter what the cost....based over a 10 year budget review ;)

just looking at few other engine options. wouldn't mind swapping a tt engine and turbos etc but would cost a fortune

bit of a contradiction there but thats the expensive option...:D

All depends on this laggy turbo issue really?

If that can be improved and/or lived with and someone say Ryan can check the afr's DET etc is ok then he's good to go for minimal cost?

Perhaps, but not knowing what is done and when or by who, that is having a NA-T with absolutely no idea what has been done, it may well be better to start again and ensure its all up to the job.

Say you found the turbo was shot, and just put another on, only to find at the top of 3rd gear that the rest is shot too, and it blows.

I wasnt giving you a quote, they were ballpark figures.

well yeah obviously. just thought it would be more as everyone seems to spend loads on tt-single conversions and i assumed it might be roughy the same in reverse except cheaper parts. whilst its already setup for a single i was just hoping mapping and an overall check would be a good starting point

You neeed to find out if your EMS is password protected, if it is then this seriously limits your mappers to authorised HKS tuners.

Lube up baby.

i'l just get another one if it proves to be password protected. i dont wanna cut corners but i'm looking at a simple way of doing all this

The simple thing would be to set light to the f*****

oh this had crossed my mind along with it "vanishing" or being written off by thieves lol;)

problem is knowing my luck i'l prob get caught and also i'l loose my no claims...not protected either

so all in all not an option :(

Perhaps, but not knowing what is done and when or by who, that is having a NA-T with absolutely no idea what has been done, it may well be better to start again and ensure its all up to the job.

Say you found the turbo was shot, and just put another on, only to find at the top of 3rd gear that the rest is shot too, and it blows.

it may be better but surely not knowing x y & z then you'd try and find out?

How would he find out if the turbo is shot?

Would you say that a turbo that size, with intact exhaust and compressor wheels should be that laggy? ie if he investigated by exposing and showing us the turbo wheels and that they were intact and the bearings seemed ok too.

He could look for a thicker headgasket, i'm not 100% sure this is possible but i know the stock NA gasket is waffer thin compared to even a stock TT one let alone say a 1.5-2mm after market one that could possibly be on it and cause a relative lack of low down grunt.

Of there is the issue of injectors he could find out at least what colour they are and hopefully someone on here could verify their cc which could add another clue to the setup.

It may be a complete nightmare where pre export it had various bits whipped off/on it but also it may be 'ok'...................IMO as an engine/turbo/ecu combo it must have been doing something right at some time to hold together whilst it stripped the 5 speed box the way it did.

it may be better but surely not knowing x y & z then you'd try and find out?

How would he find out if the turbo is shot?

Would you say that a turbo that size, with intact exhaust and compressor wheels should be that laggy? ie if he investigated by exposing and showing us the turbo wheels and that they were intact and the bearings seemed ok too.

He could look for a thicker headgasket, i'm not 100% sure this is possible but i know the stock NA gasket is waffer thin compared to even a stock TT one let alone say a 1.5-2mm after market one that could possibly be on it and cause a relative lack of low down grunt.

Of there is the issue of injectors he could find out at least what colour they are and hopefully someone on here could verify their cc which could add another clue to the setup.

It may be a complete nightmare where pre export it had various bits whipped off/on it but also it may be 'ok'...................IMO as an engine/turbo/ecu combo it must have been doing something right at some time to hold together whilst it stripped the 5 speed box the way it did.

He could do all of those things, and fix it for peanuts, but sounds a lot of hassle to me, and the likelihood is that you will find many more nightmares than you will fix.

so whatever i do it *might* but probably open up a can of worms. if i shut my eyes it might all work out! :)

Questions

- have you ever driven the car very hard for a sustained 5-10 mins?

-Did you mash the gearbox (ie it was originally ok)

If yes to both of these, then get the 6 speed box on and take it to a tuner/rolling road.