The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Cooler Ducting

Kev.O

What's peoples opinions on ducting the oil cooler? Is it really neccessary?

I've fitted mine and it's pretty close to the hole in the stockknearside bumper. Air can still get round the cooler but it's going to be quite a job to duct it. I was wondering whether it was worth all the additional work.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sure it will work without ducting, but without a wind tunnel you have no idea of the amount of air that is going through the cooler and around it, it could be 80% or 20% one thing is for sure it is not 100%, if you doubt the effects of ducting look at the care taken by Toyota to seal the stock SMIC and the radiator, it allways astounds me how people go to all the expense of fitting coolers, intercoolers etc and miss out £5 worth of ally sheet, sealant and duct tape that will really make it do its job properly

sure it will work without ducting, but without a wind tunnel you have no idea of the amount of air that is going through the cooler and around it, it could be 80% or 20% one thing is for sure it is not 100%, if you doubt the effects of ducting look at the care taken by Toyota to seal the stock SMIC and the radiator, it allways astounds me how people go to all the expense of fitting coolers, intercoolers etc and miss out £5 worth of ally sheet, sealant and duct tape that will really make it do its job properly

I'm still retaining my SMIC for that reason Paul. I was just looking at the amount of work required to make it look tidy. I just hadn't heard many people talking about ducting the oil cooler.

I ducted the cooler on my old supra Kev but i removed the stock washer tank so that i could mount the cooler in a more upright position which made it easier to duct.

I used some ally sheet and tape plus some fire retardent foam i had around on the difficult bits at the base.

I started off making templates out of cardboard then just transferred them to ally.

How big is your cooler ? Would a stock smic shroud fit with a bit of modding ?

I ducted the cooler on my old supra Kev but i removed the stock washer tank so that i could mount the cooler in a more upright position which made it easier to duct.

I used some ally sheet and tape plus some fire retardent foam i had around on the difficult bits at the base.

I started off making templates out of cardboard then just transferred them to ally.

How big is your cooler ? Would a stock smic shroud fit with a bit of modding ?

I'll take some pictures. I was thinking the same but the cooler is close to the hole which is making it difficult to make templates and it will be even harder to get ally in place. I would have to fix it all together once it was in position.

I'll take some pictures. I was thinking the same but the cooler is close to the hole which is making it difficult to make templates and it will be even harder to get ally in place. I would have to fix it all together once it was in position.

i cant remember who did it but someone on here did a duct from fibre glass for an intercooler, they made a mould from expanding foam, i think this would lend itself pretty well to what you want, basically mask all the area in cling film, card, paper, anything that can easily be removed, fill the duct with expanding foam, wait for it to go off then remove, then glass over the foam mold and remove the foam from the inside when the glass has gone off, bit messy i know but a nice weekend project :D

Let me know if you need a hand as i need an excuse to pop down, we need to plan that curry as well :)

Dunk , you might take you up on that offer. Shame it's so cold at the moment. Even with the radiator on in the garage it's still cold :D Curry's a definate though :)

That looks good Charlie. Thanks for the info Paul, I'll see what I can do. It won't be easy due to the lack of space. All will become apparent when you see the picture ;)

Dunk , you might take you up on that offer. Shame it's so cold at the moment. Even with the radiator on in the garage it's still cold :D Curry's a definate though :)

I'll have to bring my little space heater with me :)

Looks like its fitted in there quite nicely, im sure we can improve on the flow through the cooler though without too much grief, have you got any aluminium sheet ? if not i'll get some off my guys here.

Also, what are your experiences with the oil temperature at normal / city driving after fitting an oil cooler? Will it take noticably longer to get to operating temperature?

with a thermostatic take off you should not really notice any difference in warm up times

Is a wee bit tight.

I must admit i relocated my indicators to the headlights which gave more space.

I also mounted those relays, on the other side of their current position. I think that was where i mounted one side of the duct.

No thoughts to a smaller washer tank Kev ?

Is a wee bit tight.

I must admit i relocated my indicators to the headlights which gave more space.

I also mounted those relays, on the other side of their current position. I think that was where i mounted one side of the duct.

No thoughts to a smaller washer tank Kev ?

It's not quite as tight as the pictures make it out to be. I might look into moving a few things, but I hadn't thought about resizing the water bottle.

Has the air got anywhere to go after the cooler? So air can flow through it?
Yes, though it doesn't show it in that picture, the arch lining has vents in it, which will allow the air to flow through ok.

Where would I get a thermostatic take kit from??
I got mine from CW ;)

The entry to the duct can be 1/3 the size of the cooler if you radius it out, look at the opening for the rad and A/C condenser compared to the area of the heat exchangers themselves. So if you don't mind carving the bumper up you can make a duct that feeds from the stock opening, but flares out to use the whole of the oil cooler core area.