The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winters here

JamesC

After finishing a night-shift and returning to the car i found that both the doors had frozen shut :( when i finally got in and cleared all the windows, glad that i could eventually go home, i tried to pull away only to realise that the handbrake had frozen on as well :thumbdown:

Is the old trick to put Vasline on the rubbers around the door to stop it freezing shut? And what about the handbrake? Change the rubbers underneath?

I came out the gym this morning after a shower, hadn't dried my hair properly. On the little walk from the car park into work my hair had actually frozen solid... black spikey hair the Mother Nature way..

Have had my windows frozen a few times when getting up for work at 5am, it's amusing isn't it?

Only -5 at 8am here today.

Is the old trick to put Vasline on the rubbers around the door to stop it freezing shut? And what about the handbrake? Change the rubbers underneath?

You'll rot the door rubbers if you do that.

Halfords do a product that will help with this and also feed the rubbers, just don't use too much and spray onto a cloth rather than the car because it makes a mess of the glass / paint:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219033_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

Personally I use this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

If the handbrake is freezing it's probably more sensible to change the cables, I used to get this on my MR2 a lot, the rubber boots at the handbrake side perished and allowed water in, it would take a full day to defrost sometimes so you had to remember to park with the handbrake off.

Have had my windows frozen a few times when getting up for work at 5am, it's amusing isn't it?

Yes, very :banghead:

Only -5 at 8am here today.

You'll rot the door rubbers if you do that.

Halfords do a product that will help with this and also feed the rubbers, just don't use too much and spray onto a cloth rather than the car because it makes a mess of the glass / paint:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219033_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

Personally I use this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

If the handbrake is freezing it's probably more sensible to change the cables, I used to get this on my MR2 a lot, the rubber boots at the handbrake side perished and allowed water in, it would take a full day to defrost sometimes so you had to remember to park with the handbrake off.

Cheers Michael! I'll go and get some of that lube later on today ;)

I used to have a Fiat Coupe and the exact same thing happened on that, frozen doors and handbrake.

Well, there was a generous coating of ice on the INSIDE of my bedroom window at the B&B this morning cos the heating broke. The plumber had better get it fixed today.

And there's me thinking ice on the inside of the supras rear window was bad:blink:

I came out the gym this morning after a shower, hadn't dried my hair properly. On the little walk from the car park into work my hair had actually frozen solid... black spikey hair the Mother Nature way..

I bet that actually looked quite cool though:cool:

My civic hasn't started the past 2 mornings as it has been too cold for it so I have had to take the Supra to work which has not made for an enjoyable ride especially seeing as the tires are not very good in the cold/wet.