The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4 wheel alignment

Paul R

4 Wheel allignments are ace!!

My nearside rear wheel was out by 10mm!! Thats a hell of a lot!

Anyway, got it done and the car feels solid on the road now. It's also cured the shaking steering wheel problem I had when cruising at about 80.

I also had a burn at 140 (on a private road of course) and the car sticks to the ground like shit does to a shovel!!

I'd recommend anyone who has jittery steering to get this done.....The best bit is it only cost...wait for it....£23 all in!

Paul.

Cheap as chips... Good deal! Am I cool or what? Just looked at the car and told you which single wheel was out, and even told you which direction and roughly how much (a LOT), and 10 mm is a hell of a lot. Was somehing bent? Glad I haven't lost my eye, i once won 20 notes for eyeing up a front race suspension and betting the guy that the reading from his camber guage was out by a degree. :cool:

Must have made a hell of a difference, 10 mm would have torn the tyres to shreds, i am surprised it didn't squeal the rubber cruising in a straight line :p

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

Cheap as chips... Good deal! Am I cool or what? Just looked at the car and told you which single wheel was out, and even told you which direction and roughly how much (a LOT), and 10 mm is a hell of a lot. Was somehing bent? Glad I haven't lost my eye, i once won 20 notes for eyeing up a front race suspension and betting the guy that the reading from his camber guage was out by a degree. :cool:

Must have made a hell of a difference, 10 mm would have torn the tyres to shreds, i am surprised it didn't squeal the rubber cruising in a straight line :p

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you spotted it in the first place! so thanks for that.

I got the guys to check it out and they said that nothing was bent as far as they could see, it was just set incorrectly.

So thats it.

I've done the plugs, pads, intercooler leaks and I've had the alignment done. Time for a service now! lol

Only trouble is, I'm out of money...so it will have to wait til next month.

Paul.

• 1 year later...

CW, sounds as if you're a seeing-eye-dog for those with not-so the keen eye. I don't have a pic of it rolling, but my supe rear end tracks funny at times. I was following the wife the other day in the Beemer (I know, why was she driving it and not I), and it seemed like the arse-end moved side to side while driving straight or in a slight turn. Is this most likely alignment or do I have something else, probably more costly, to worry about? If it is alignment, is it tough to fix, can I assess/adjust on my own? I only ask because the last Toyota dealer I rolled into had never seen a supe in the flesh and I worry about their competence in aligning the car. P.S. I'm in NW Germany otherwise I'd bring it to you. Thanks.

Definately worth checking, my Soop's still got the original suspension setup, yet when it was laser aligned both rear wheels were pointing slightly to the right :conf: and there wasn't a lot that didn't need changing.

Now it doesn't crash over potholes like it used to, it's a lot smoother, handles miles better, and doesn't shake over 120 :)

is 4 wheel alignment the same as tracking or are they completely different things. If they are different, where did you get it done cos i need mine doing but have been told that its nearer the 200 quid mark and would much rather pay the 23 you said. Budget do tracking for 25 but wondering if this would be the same thing.

is 4 wheel alignment the same as tracking or are they completely different things. If they are different, where did you get it done cos i need mine doing but have been told that its nearer the 200 quid mark and would much rather pay the 23 you said. Budget do tracking for 25 but wondering if this would be the same thing.

I was wondering the same thing about the cost. Last time mine was laser aligned it cost me £110 and that seemed pretty cheap compared to what I had heard.

The guys spent about an hour on it, so I don't reckon they would have made much out of it at £23

CW, sounds as if you're a seeing-eye-dog for those with not-so the keen eye. I don't have a pic of it rolling, but my supe rear end tracks funny at times. I was following the wife the other day in the Beemer (I know, why was she driving it and not I), and it seemed like the arse-end moved side to side while driving straight or in a slight turn. Is this most likely alignment or do I have something else, probably more costly, to worry about? If it is alignment, is it tough to fix, can I assess/adjust on my own? I only ask because the last Toyota dealer I rolled into had never seen a supe in the flesh and I worry about their competence in aligning the car. P.S. I'm in NW Germany otherwise I'd bring it to you. Thanks.

I had similar feeling on mine a few months ago and indeed it turned out to be worn bushes. Had all bushes, rods and arm replaced with new Toyota/TRD parts and the difference in handling was increadible.

Michael, who did you get it done by, and was it laser alignment ?

Would like to get mine done so assume the place you went to wont be too far as I'm in Bradford.

Also I assume you waited with the car while it was done. :)

cheers mate.

I had my alignment done at Link Tyres in Mirfield, not the most local place but handy enough:

http://www.linktyres.co.uk

It was a nice day so I had a wander around Mirfield, read a book next to the canal and then went back to wait there when a thunderstorm came - probably the smallest and most uncomfortable waiting area ever but the office girls are really friendly so you can have a natter :)

The chaps there seemed to take good care of everything and asked loads of questions about the car - it's not high tech and ultra swanky but they get the job done.

I had similar feeling on mine a few months ago and indeed it turned out to be worn bushes. Had all bushes, rods and arm replaced with new Toyota/TRD parts and the difference in handling was increadible.

How tough is the bushing replacement, is there a poly-replacement that's better than OEM, can I do it myself, and what are prices? Anyone? Do I have to replace the rods and arm and how do I tell if they're worn? Cheers.

Tracking is just done to the front wheels I think, if for example you have to keep the steering turned slightly to go in a straight line the you need the tracking done, assuming all the tyre pressures are ok.

4 wheel alignment is a tad more involved, this involves checking the angles of the wheel relative to the road and numerous other angles which I cant really describe without pictures but don't have any, there's probably some old posts which show what I mean.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer. :p

Still wondering if 4 wheel alignment is the same thing as tracking. cos tracking near me costs 25 quid but have been quoted 200 for alignment.

tracking is completely different. i tried one of the cheap alignment jobs and all they done was lined the front wheels up with the rears which isnt much good if your back wheels are out. i ended up going to micheldever tyres to get it done. they wanted £195 but after a bit of haggling payed £160ish. makes a lot of difference to handling and road holding and definitely recommend it

Had a 4 wheel laser alignment done last week at Feltham Tyres near Heathrow Airport, they charge between £60 - 90 depending on how much needs adjusting.

They knew what a Supra was so thats a good start and can handle lowered cars.

happy with the job done and its transformed the feel of the car and an important check considering the front end rebuild...

DaveS

I had mine done at supertyres in Maldon, Essex. Good service and very impressive overall, I'll post up some pics of before / after later :)

The first time I went there it was ok to start with but went out again really quickly on the front - took it back and they did it again gratis and it stayed fixed.

I've often wondered which bit they didn't tighten up properly the first time around