The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy a Supra

fessen

Hi All :)

I'm looking into buying my first supra but need to know a bit more about them. What should I look out for when buying one etc.

I basically know sod all about Supra's, just like the look of them, and fancy owning one.

Any info is much appreciated :)

Thanks all

Hi there,

You need to narrow down your search.

Do you want a stock un modded car or a heavily modded single perhaps ?

UK Spec or Jap Import

What kind of budget do you have ?

I'd preferably want an unmodded car, that needs a bit of work/loving, or just a nice example of an unmodded car.

I'd preferably want an unmodded car, that needs a bit of work/loving, or just a nice example of an unmodded car.

The key questions are the budget you have available to spend on the initial purchase and how much you have available to run it. Only then can we recommend a spec that might suit.

The key questions are the budget you have available to spend on the initial purchase and how much you have available to run it. Only then can we recommend a spec that might suit.

and what are you looking for in the car - blistering power, driver involvement or a comfortable barge, zero performance and drives by itself.... with the supra badge nevertheless :D

your age, etc can also help (insurance costs) determine what car is best to go for.

OH - what worked for me was a testdrive in a few different cars to get a better appreciation of whats out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Update to this thread still looking.

Basically im 20 coming up 21, looking to get a Supra.

Currently have a ZR as my everyday car, currently at Uni but if i bought a supra it would only be used now and again, not as everyday.

Probably looking £1500-2000.

I presume its going to be a N/A?

Manual or Auto?

In all seriousness, perhaps you should reconsider.

I owned a Mitsubishi GTO for 2 years, it cost me 20 grand during my ownership.

It really is an eye opener, and unless you're a young high flying stockbroker or something similar, owning, running and maintaining a Supra is going to be a big shock to you and your wallet.

It's scary that "the market" believes it can buy Supras for this kind of money... it's scarier to think that they probably can... maybe even less.

Then again, in the long run buying a cheaper Supra will invariably attract higher costs in repairs, maintenance et al simply for not being looked after by previous owners.

Can there really be so many people prepared to part with they money, in this economic slowdown, for a complete shed just so they can say they own a Supra?

Yes I fear so Ace.

What a wonderful outlook we must now adopt.

I, for one, certainly won't be contributing to the "shed" mentality. I am perfectly prepared to wait for the right vehicle, and will pay the right money for it, however long it takes or however much it costs.

someone stop me if being overly dramatic...but i feel owning a supra is as more a hobby/interest than having a cool looking car to drive. probably read into the marque and learn all the ins and outs before deciding if you want one. at the end of the day they are, (despite being 15 years old and being dragged into autotrader bargain section), still an; exotic, expensive, demanding car to own. no offense either, because i dont know what financial position youre in, but even n/a's are still a little thirsty, tyres arent cheap, servicing can be pricey, insurance on import cars is high especially given your age...and so on. in my experience, the majority of students have low fundage.

sounds like a bit of a put off but i guess if the car is going to be an occassional driver, then things like cost of fuel, and tyres wont really affect you. on the other hand, do you want to spend £220 pa on tax, and a possible £1000 on insurance for a car that sits stationary on a driveway?

sounds like a complete downer, but if you can afford one, get one. the only thing to bear in mind is that the initial expense of buying the car is only the beginning

someone stop me if being overly dramatic...but i feel owning a supra is as more a hobby/interest than having a cool looking car to drive. probably read into the marque and learn all the ins and outs before deciding if you want one. at the end of the day they are, (despite being 15 years old and being dragged into autotrader bargain section), still an; exotic, expensive, demanding car to own. no offense either, because i dont know what financial position youre in, but even n/a's are still a little thirsty, tyres arent cheap, servicing can be pricey, insurance on import cars is high especially given your age...and so on. in my experience, the majority of students have low fundage.

sounds like a bit of a put off but i guess if the car is going to be an occassional driver, then things like cost of fuel, and tyres wont really affect you. on the other hand, do you want to spend £220 pa on tax, and a possible £1000 on insurance for a car that sits stationary on a driveway?

sounds like a complete downer, but if you can afford one, get one. the only thing to bear in mind is that the initial expense of buying the car is only the beginning

:yeahthat:

What a wonderful outlook we must now adopt.

I, for one, certainly won't be contributing to the "shed" mentality. I am perfectly prepared to wait for the right vehicle, and will pay the right money for it, however long it takes or however much it costs.

Buying a looked after car is a much cheaper route in the long run , dont forget even some nicer looking cars can still be sheds underneath though !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Try an MR2. I'm in my final year of Uni now, and have been driving my MR2 for around a year now and it's been ace. You can pick a nice one up for your budget, and insurance will be lower too. Also you'll get a feel for RWD sports cars. I've wanted a Supra for a while now, but I'm holding back for when I'm in a better position to own one!

When I'm in a stable job, then I'll get a Supra when I can afford a well maintained one, and have the money to run it, as well as getting those extra NCBs on my insurance to make sure quotes are sensible!

Take your time, look around, read up and learn what you can before buying, it'll save you money and grief! :cool: