The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will a FMIC increase boost?

bodilx6

I'm running 1.2 bar BPU at the moment, and would like to keep it there. The SMIC I have is to my knowledge the one that came with the car and it is now putting down 390 bhp, which I'm satisfied with.

Should I add a FMIC though, would that result in higher boost pressure (due to colder air)?

This would not be good for the stock tubbies. Or would it result in more efficient combustion and higher power without an increase in boost pressure?

I'm guessing the last since the intercooler is placed after the tubbies, but would just like to know if my thoughts are correct?

Some turbo cars it seems to make a big difference to because the std IC is pretty rubbish, but the Supra IC is good and capable of dealing with a fair bit of BHP, so unless you're going to run a big single at high boost, i doubt you will notice much difference at all, i also doubt it will have any effect on boost pressure.

i am still running std IC with a GT3488, and i would probably notice a difference, but its fine for now.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

I'm running 1.2 bar BPU at the moment, and would like to keep it there. The SMIC I have is to my knowledge the one that came with the car and it is now putting down 390 bhp, which I'm satisfied with.

As it is a stock standard SMIC that is most likely the original one.....so a fair few years old, I am sure it is past is due date and a change to ANY semi decent intercooler will result in better charge temps.

if it is a stock IC that is in great shape, then personally, I wouldn't bother with a FMIC. the SMIC design and location is proven to be fair more efficient that a front mounted IC. - search is your friend for this heavily discussed topic.

The intercooler affects the intake charge after it's come out of the turbos. This means, if your FMIC install is more efficient than your current SMIC, you may actually see a slight reduction in boost pressure. As the air charge is cooled, the removal of heat causes a drop in pressure - so naturally if you cool the charge more, the pressure will drop more. Probably only something like 0.05bar/1psi though, unless your SMIC really is phoning it in.

The exception to this is if you have a boost controller installed that is intelligent enough to compensate for the change, and alters the wastegate duty cycle to try and achieve its target boost pressure again. Then you'll be working the turbos harder.

And yes, this doesn mean that if you measure 1.2bar on your boost gauge, it's not the actual output pressure at the turbo - that's a fair bit higher.

-Ian

how are you contoling the boost at the moment.....?

I'm 1 and a halv decatted ;-)

Kept the first cat but knocked a hole through it so it acts exactly like a RR.

So, based on all and Ian c's always competent responses, there is not much idea in changing. My SMIC looks ok, but as i'm stock and putting down 390 I shouldnt expect any more.. Al least not compared to the hassle of changing