The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Double DIN Units

ellis

Morning all - am looking to change and upgrade my in-car unit to a double DIN unit with sat nav built in, CD, DVD, MP3, iPod connection, Parrot etc etc and have narrowed my choice down somewhat. I'm looking at the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT at the moment and was wondering if a) anybody has this unit and how they rate it for the price and b) if anybody has other units with the same functions they would happily recommend. Halfrauds are currently doing the Pioneer with free fitting plus a free 8GB Touch

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_557003_langId_-1_categoryId_165553#dtab

Thoughts and opinions etc!

yer mate, the pioner unit is a top piece of kit. go for the top of range though as only like 70 quid more and you get lots more toys.

This one is pretty well specced up.

Any idea what else I'll need to fit it properly? Harness? Cage?

I'd be interested to know the part number from Halfords for the cage and how many remote outputs/amps it can drive :)

If there is a cage I'll let you know but I think it'll bolt straight in.

Here's some spec for the unit...

• Multi-sensor GPS, Entertainment & Communication System (DVD, CD, SD Card, USB & iPod playback)
  • Powerful and precise, with a perfect fit.
  • Designed to fit flush in your cars double-din slot, the AVIC-F900BT will take the stress out of your car journey, giving you full-scale navigation, entertainment and communication in one perfect-fit system.
  • The AVIC-F900BT will guide you across the whole of Europe, enable you to control and use your phone hands-free, produces supreme sound and with USB and SD connections, is extremely versatile.
  • The system can play multiple audio and video formats and can be linked to your home PC via our freely downloadable software, enabling you to create and add your own points of interest.
  • Get to where you need to go safely and without fuss. The AVIC-F900BT gives you:
  • Maps in high-resolution with 3D elevation and 3D landmarks,
  • Real-time traffic assistance, helping you avoid the jams and traffic hotspots
  • Multiple sensors to ensure accurate positioning in areas where GPS signals may be weak (in tunnels or in built-up cities, for example).
  • The built-in DVD player is always available, even whilst you’re navigating, to enjoy DVDs and CDs containing DivX, MP3 and WMA content.
  • The AVIC-F900BT has versatile connectivity, which means you can watch compressed video such as MPEG 4 on the screen (from SD cards and USB devices), and enjoy audio and video playback from your iPod (supporting generations from October 2005). Bring your digital lifestyle in-car.
  • You can even add an optional reversing camera to make parking in tight spots easier to manage.
  • Make and receive phone calls wirelessly, too. The AVIC-F900BT includes Parrot Bluetooth phone management technology. Your phone will automatically register with the system which can store, manage and call up to 300 contacts from three different phones.
  • And finally, you can add a personal touch to your system to make it blend in perfectly with your tastes (or your car interior). You can customise your welcome screen, amend the colour of maps and the button illumination.

• Main Features AVIC-F900BT
  • Simultaneous Navigation and AV Entertainment
  • Map Type Pre-installed on 2GB (NAND) flash memory
  • Navigation Coverage 33 European Countries, including elevation 3D maps
  • Points of Interest (POI) 1.5 million plus custom POI creator
  • NavGate Feeds Custom POI Creator
  • 3D Landmarks
  • Touch Screen Operation
  • Screen Size 5.8-inch with high resolution
  • Bluetooth Ready
  • Multi-Sensor Navigation
  • Plays Your CD and DVD collection(including CD-R/-RW, DVD-R/-RW discs)
  • MP3, WMA, iTunes, WAV music files
  • JPEG digital photo’s (for your start-up screen)
  • Compressed video, such as MPEG 4
  • DVD Region Code 2
  • Radio
  • Gateway Capability SD Card, USB, iPod
  • Text-to-Speech Capability
  • Installation Type 2-DIN (double-din), in-dash
  • Anti-Theft Protection

• Navigation Features AVIC-F900BT
  • Voice Guidance Languages 20 languages supported: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Flemish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norweigan, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
  • Menu Languages 20 languages supported: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Flemish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norweigan, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.

• Expandability AVIC-F900BT
  • RCA AV Input 2 (1 rear-in, 1 front-in mini jack)
  • SD Card Input
  • Front Aux. Input
  • iPod Control via optional CD-IU230V connector
  • USB Control
  • Portable Device Connectivity Yes, via optional CD-V150M cable
  • Bluetooth Telephony :Parrot Bluetooth module built-in
  • Reverse Camera Input Yes, for the optional ND-BC2 or ND-BC20PA
  • Direct Sub Drive
  • Hard Wired Remote Ready (optional leads required)

• Audio AVIC-F900BT
  • MOSFET 50 W x 4 Amplifier
  • Equaliser

• General AVIC-F900BT
  • Cellular Telephone Auto Muting
  • Map translate9

I have the F700 which is essentially identical with the exception of DVD..... which the F900 has...... I considered this but honestly could see myself doing a "Pimp My Ride" with TV screens etc everywhere (no insult to those have done this, each to there own!)

Anyway..... the stereo is brilliant, fits nice and flush, easy to use......

When you get yours fitted I would suggest getting the hand brake swith connected to be permenantly on, can't remember if it was live or earth, but either way it is advisable otherwise trying to use some functions becomes a pain when you have the hand brake in the way!...

Rob

Edited by RobUK
I can't spell! (see edit history)

As promised - pics of the new install. This is a cracking piece of kit - love it already. Paired my phone up, downloaded all the contacts so now have true hands-free in the car. Great sat-nav, handles MP3s, MP4s, iPod, USB pens the lot! Looks the mutts too!

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/752/doubledinnb3.jpg

My old single din Alpine unit is up for sale now as well here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=2233474#post2233474

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

Caraudiosecurity have put their price back up to about £672.00 (the £606.00 deal only lasted a couple of days). Halfords are still offering it at £799 with free iPod Touch 8GB and free fitting (they fitted it for free for me as well which was a bonus!). Halfords will price match as long as its not an internet only price (ie. the company has a shop somewhere).