The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk brakes

supraspeed

ok my uk brake pads and discs are now basically worn to the point of flintstone style stopping so ive ordered some pads and discs from whifbitz a min ago. now the cars been off the road for so long that the condition of and around the brakes are a bit of a state to say the least (grime etc) and makes me think about other parts around that area. i was going to buy calipers but they are a bit expensive £200 each from whifbitz i think (mine are all rusty and mank)so i'l get some later in the year.

When i was searching for the pads etc i found (Toyota front caliper seal kit for UK Spec brakes each £40.12 ) Is this something i would need as well if i'm fitting new stuff? or is this just perfectionist add ons?

You were gonna replace the calipers cos they were dirty? Just get them media blasted and repainted. If they were operating fine theres no need to rebuild them, but only a removal and inspection will tell. I bought a set that had a couple of siezed pistons cos the rubber boots had split, a mornings work to refurb.

You were gonna replace the calipers cos they were dirty? Just get them media blasted and repainted. If they were operating fine theres no need to rebuild them, but only a removal and inspection will tell. I bought a set that had a couple of siezed pistons cos the rubber boots had split, a mornings work to refurb.

one of the calipers has been grinded on the outside (i assume to put on aftermarket wheels at some point (only about 2mm) but thats the only reason i was going to get a new one unless theres something else like caliper paint over the top instead?

Hi.

When I first bought my UK spec the brakes were in a bad way, but I was lucky I had the use of my last N/A so I could spend time doing them.

I took them off and down the shed I went and I gave them a good cleaning and rubbing down. I stripped the pistons down and replaced all the seals with the kit you mentioned, I sprayed them up with a few coats of primer then about 6 coats of gold then 3 of laquer.

I then bought Chris Wilson fast road pads, 3G grooved discs and braided lines, replaced everything with all the right greases so there will be no problems the next time. They are spot on now, it cost a few squid and took a couple of days to do but well worth it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bob.

one of the calipers has been grinded on the outside (i assume to put on aftermarket wheels at some point (only about 2mm) but thats the only reason i was going to get a new one unless theres something else like caliper paint over the top instead?

Obviously I cant recommend anyone else useing brake calipers that have damage.... But me personally Id just refurb them. Unless you have the cash and really want new ones :)