The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU question, (probably been asked but couldnt find it)

monsween

oooh i didnt know you could do that... sub'd

Yeah there's a guide. Involves putting an MBC (or ebc i guess) in one of the vac lines at the back of the engine.

Don't know the technical speak for it all but there were pics involved lol.

All you're doing is increasing the maximum boost value that you can achieve which is approx 1.2bar for BPU.

You control how much boost you get with your right foot, so it can be anything from 0bar to 1.2bar.

At BPU you'll find that the engine is very much more responsive, you'll definately notice this when accelerating hard away from a standstill position.

An unmodified Supra is relatively subdued compared to a BPU car which is a different beast altogether

At BPU you'll find that the engine is very much more responsive, you'll definately notice this when accelerating hard away from a standstill position.

An unmodified Supra is relatively subdued compared to a BPU car which is a different beast altogether

spot on description, thanks :thumbs:

Around 0.8 and 1.1-1.2 max

As far as i know there is a way to get the 1st turbo to put out 1.2 bar too. Not sure how many people do it though.

Are you sure?

I know you can run the car TTC but this just does away with sequential and runs the turbos in Parallel giving you slightly less low down and a bit more middle.

Yeah there's a guide. Involves putting an MBC (or ebc i guess) in one of the vac lines at the back of the engine.

Don't know the technical speak for it all but there were pics involved lol.

Interesting read, see here;

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/supra/boosting_the_beast.htm

I believe this is JohnA's website.

Edited by Mcgoo
Aknowledgment of JohnA (see edit history)

Are you sure?

I know you can run the car TTC but this just does away with sequential and runs the turbos in Parallel giving you slightly less low down and a bit more middle.

Interesting read, see here;

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/supra/boosting_the_beast.htm

I believe this is JohnA's website.

Yup, have a read. Thats why i said i don't know how many people have given it a go. Its pretty unknown on here.

very interesting. Id be interested to hear what someone like CW thinks about this :think:

In principle its a sound theory. Basically all you are doing is upping when the 1st turbo's "wastegate" opens the same way as you do the 2nd turbo for normal BPU.

I think if you set the 1st turbo at 1bar and the 1st and 2nd turbo at 1.2 bar then you are evening up the work done by each turbo. By just increasing the 2nd turbo for BPU levels you are making it work much harder to reach the same level.

well my car pulls 1 bar (or very close) through the first turbo anyway if i remember corretly.

Maybe something to do with it being a uk car and not running a boost controller?

Although obviously like the idea of running 1.3 bar through both :D

I guess doing that you wouldnt get the surge from the 2nd turbo as much then?

well my car pulls 1 bar (or very close) through the first turbo anyway if i remember corretly.

Maybe something to do with it being a uk car and not running a boost controller?

Although obviously like the idea of running 1.3 bar through both :D

Possibly the boost gauge? Would be surprised at getting 1 bar without a controller. U got a double de-cat?

1.3 at both stages might be an uneven balance though. I think in order to have both turbo's flowing the same amount of air, at the 2nd stage, i think there will always have to be a difference between 1st one on its own and both turbo's running.

Possibly the boost gauge? Would be surprised at getting 1 bar without a controller. U got a double de-cat?

1.3 at both stages might be an uneven balance though. I think in order to have both turbo's flowing the same amount of air i think there will always have to be a difference between 1st one on its own and both turbo's running.

To be honest i havent looked for a while :p Maybe im just exagerating in my head :p.

Yep the car is fully bpu. all apart from a boost controller. doesnt seem to need on as it tops out on boost at about 1.3 and then if you keep your foot in stops at 1.4. I remember hearing somewhere it was because its uk spec and something else limited it :S

Nah it's easy, and you still only need a WB02 and Boost gauge tops.

It works fine but when Ian and I experimented we found that overboosting the 1st turbo did little or nothing for the feel of the car, so as the arse dyno wasn't impressed it was removed.

IMO leave it alone as it add nothing.