The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nice mod for auto owners :)

Tom

This thread on sf has been going since 2006 but i've just spotted it :)

StSupDog said:
OK, so I originally wanted to just switch out the Auto console panel for the 98 6spd painted Flat Black to match my other pieces and keep the stock Shifter knob.... but, My Brother (TTSupDog) showed me this "MOMO" Shift knob and already test fitted it on his Supra but, Had the knob way too low for my taste and he was going to mount the “OD” button somewhere else on the panel...He had already located the “TRD” epoxy dome decal but, he was concerned on the size..I would later fix that problem by removing a plate and painting the surrounding area in black High temp paint..

After looking at it and seeing how it would resemble my TRD Steering wheel (I had it Re Done in Fresh Leather w/ perf sides)... I couldn't resist..I just didn't like the idea of Screwing up a Brand New $90 knob.... But, I bought it anyway and began to think of how I was going to put the "OD" button to work on it... Below is the finish result..

First I removed All of the factory auto shifter pieces then I took off the "MOMO" epoxy dome decal and rest plate of the new Knob... tapped it with a Drill Press...Modded the "OD" button to fit, Dremeled grove canals for the wires, Painted inner ring black, Shaved the "OD" Button Flat, blah blah blah... you get the picture.. P.I.T.A.!!

End result: The "TRD" button you see is the "OD"...and I love it! ... It feels Great..It feels as it should, like a sports car! I still thinking of getting the Allen key screws for the holes.....

In Park

23.jpg

In Neutral

Close up of the "OD-TRD button"

Vandie said:
So, this thread has inspired me to do the same, but with mine I have retained the shift lock out, and simply moved the O/D button to a new position.

New manual dash panel to come soon aswell.

Simply push down to un-lock the shifter :D

Vandie said:
to solve the problem of people not knowing where the gears are, I made this subtle sticker.

The gears with lockout are underlined :D

this is pretty neat too,

POLL OPTIONS:

Trying to make up my mind:

(A) Keyfob w/hidden key + smart start button = You get a Keyfob with a hidden blank key. Fob communicates to box in car. Once your 2-3 feet from the car, it automatically locks/unlocks the doors and enables the start button. It also allows anti-carjacking. If the fob is not in the car within 30 seconds of you starting it OR opening then closing the door, cuts the ignition via the start button.

(B) Smart start button ONLY = Just the button and circuitry. It will need a signal from another alarm to enable itself and let you start your car. You would use your alarm to lock/unlock the doors. This is the best option for those of us who have a nice COMPUSTAR alarm system with the 2-way pager. The hidden keyfob is nice, but you'll end up carrying to large fobs everywhere you go.

© Automatic lock/unlock as you approach the car = Best convenience if you choose the keyfob option, but may become annoying if your working on your car. You can cover the keyfob in aluminum wrap, turn off the RFID via a button, or keep the key near the car.

(D) Must touch car to lock/unlock = Small hidden sensor near glass. Keyfob enables this sensor. You touch sensor to lock/unlock the doors. Issue here is you *can* leave the fob in the car and it can still lock on you.

UPDATE: 07 / 23 / 08

Video PART 2: Full operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6F-owxgyY

Here's a topic: Youtube VIDEO showing my progress-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTDHLUd_lls

Talk amongst yourselves...

-------------------------------------------------

Final button

Integrated Key Fob with internal Supra Key and smart keyless circuitry - Custom cut supra key inserted into keyfob. OEM Infinit fob guts tossed in favor or custom circuitry. Only one button works for emergency lock/unlock.

Prototype unit - fairly complete minus the button.

Circuit progress ;)

---------------Original Post---------------------

I'm almost done working on a product and am looking for any interested parties.

First off, these things generally cost $2000-$3000 if you buy all the parts seperately. I can probably get this down to a few hundred dollars.

What: Auto push button start with auto-detect keyfob. Key the fob in your pocket. Get close to your car, open your doors w/o a key. Get into your car, push the button, car starts. Key only needed for opening the door manually.

Included:

RFID fob - 128bit encryption, new code generated each time you walk away from the car. I haven't yet decided how to incorporate the Supra key inside (like most do). I may request you ship me a copy of your key so that I can create the key-in-fob desgn or supply a kit that allows you to cut your key and slip it in.. or send me a remote that you use (alarm remote) where I can insert the frequency detection guts inside for a clean design.

Smart Push button - You push once, turns on accessories. Push again, turns them off. Anytime you put your foot on the brake and push the button, it cranks. Stops cranking after the tach signal reaches idle. Push again, turns off. The button will only function if the fob is in your car. I have yet to develop a column-lock solenoid if it can even be made. I may have to look at late-model toyotas to see if there is anything already available. If not, I can still offer this unit with the intention that the user resolves column-lock themselves.

Theft concern: It will be component based. If your a thief and you know the supra wiring, a few cuts and twists you can start the car. I plan to include a seperate connection for the fuel pump. You can always use this system with your current alarm, so there is that option.

I am looking at a few weeks for a test mule to be completed. As with anything, I would not be responsible for car theft, just like a turbo supplier isn't responsible for you dying due to excessive HP.

Guest dangerousandy
I do like the original TRD 'manual' looking gear knob during the first few photos, a lot!

So do I!!!! I have a genuine TRD gearknob in my Celica (which I shall be fitting to my GA70 Supra soon) but I am liking the look of the Momo gearknob!! Did that come with the TRD logo or has it been modified? Where can I get one from!!!!

So that first mod is for auto owners wanting to make it look like they bought a proper gearbox car? :innocent:

Although the auto is great, the console in the cabin isn't the most attractive IMO, so with a little tweaking it could look better. Maybe it just needs a gear stick gaiter. :)

Guest CoolsBlue

Not feeling it...engine start button? do i want my supra to be an easy target to get nicked? that shifter...looks crappy...the stock one looks much better imo waste of money tbh

I know, and I'm rising above his condescending comment, and trying to offer a possible solution. Who wants a manual anyway? They are so last century :p

actually come to think about it, the manual boys are probably just jelous cos they dont have an auto button, or an overdrive button :D

or they could just be baffled by the mysterious and sacred "red Button" that is often discussed :rlol:

Not feeling it...engine start button? do i want my supra to be an easy target to get nicked? that shifter...looks crappy...the stock one looks much better imo waste of money tbh

Maybe you should've read the bit where it explained the blank key, and sensor thingy that would only work if they were brought within a few feet of the car. So it could be harder to nick if you can't find somewhere to start the ignition. ;)

Nice find, what car is the bottom steering wheel from? looks nice and chunky.

Thats a later facelift wheel Jamie. Earlier facelifts still came with four spokes, then changed over to these toward '98 as far as I have seen. The Tiptronic wheel is identical apart from the shift buttons.

Heres one, hope you dont mind Jim C

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=74027&d=1208163637

Edited by Ewen
Wrong year listed (see edit history)

Thats a later facelift wheel Jamie. Earlier facelifts still came with four spokes, then changed over to these toward '98 as far as I have seen. The Tiptronic wheel is identical apart from the shift buttons.

Heres one, hope you dont mind Jim C

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=74027&d=1208163637

Ahh i see, the one in Tom's pic has Red stitching, would go nice with my seats;) i take it that has been retrimed.

• 1 month later...