The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Can't Believe It

Luka-P

I honestly can't believe where I've failed!

I got the car started and she ran sweet as anything, purring away without a care in the world. I then went round and checked for leaks whilst the revs were held at 2k. I noticed a small amount of fluid on the floor and checked to see what it was. Oil! From what I can see it's coming from around the sump at each bolt hole. It's not gushing out or dripping but you can tell it's coming from there. I think it's down to the amount of RTV I put on the sump. I honestly am gutted.

To have this happen at this stage is unbelieveable. I don't think I've got the time or, to be honest, the patience to pull the engine out again. I'm getting to a stage in my career where I need to concentrate and having this car will draw my attention away from things that need to be done. Such a little thing has crashed my whole project! I'm really am gutted but I have reached the limit with this car. I know what will happen now and that's to let her go as she is. I really can't believe it!

So if anyone wants a rebuilt TT which needs the sump re-sealing then let me know. I can give further details if required!

Luke.

I honestly can't believe where I've failed!

I got the car started and she ran sweet as anything, purring away without a care in the world. I then went round and checked for leaks whilst the revs were held at 2k. I noticed a small amount of fluid on the floor and checked to see what it was. Oil! From what I can see it's coming from around the sump at each bolt hole. It's not gushing out or dripping but you can tell it's coming from there. I think it's down to the amount of RTV I put on the sump. I honestly am gutted.

To have this happen at this stage is unbelieveable. I don't think I've got the time or, to be honest, the patience to pull the engine out again. I'm getting to a stage in my career where I need to concentrate and having this car will draw my attention away from things that need to be done. Such a little thing has crashed my whole project! I'm really am gutted but I have reached the limit with this car. I know what will happen now and that's to let her go as she is. I really can't believe it!

So if anyone wants a rebuilt TT which needs the sump re-sealing then let me know. I can give further details if required!

Luke.

umm, wouldn't it be easier and possibly financially better than selling up to pay for a garage to do it if you don't have the time. You know what it is and know what needs doing so it shouldn't be the most expesnive job in the world? Surely?

It's probably easier to pull the engine again and reseal it that way. I'd much rather do that than mess about under the car. I could get a garage to do it but it means more expense and more hassle. I'm still in a wierd state but I think I'll be letting it go.

Guest r34nel

thats what i was thinking! when i had my starlet gt rebuilt i had the same issue after the work was done, i think its down to the fact no gasket is used so the two mating surfaces have to be perfect i would say to stop any leaks, i had mine done by an engine builder though and i demanded he put it right, he said he removed the sump and put some fresh sealant on and that cured the problem, i think its a toyota thing!

Is there any way you can just lift the engine a bit, rathert han fully take it out, to get at the sump and its bolts? I'm guessing not, but it's worth looking like a muppet asking such a question if there is a slim chance it's possible and it'll save your project. :search:

Did you use the correct sealent i Lee made a point of using all genuine Toyota sealents when he did mine and for good reason he said

And not one drop off oil leaked out of mine

I didn’t use genuine Toyota sealant, no. I used the equivalent Locktite sealant, can’t remember the number at the moment though. I did some research before hand to ensure I got the right stuff and I can remember always stalling before it came to buying it as I wanted to triple check it was ok.

The only real way, and proper way, to get this sorted would be to pull the engine again. I wouldn’t even think of trying it from below. It’s far too much effort and hassle to do it that way and I’d be concerned about contamination entering the engine. :(

don't give up luke. I fitted a 2nd hand engine to mine and it ran for 15mins and seazed up so it all had to come back out again and be rebuilt. It's sole destroying I know but keep the faith mate.

Anyways you can't stop now I've just sent you a parcel of bits today.

Please dont give up and sell at this stage. Iv been close on more times than id care to remember in my own build, but you cant give up now.

Are you 100% sure its actually leaking, or is it tracking down from somewhere else, or is it oil that was already there?

The sump is a fairly difficult joint to seal, and while the Loctite equivalent is likely to be just as good, it perhaps needs more care to apply?

Cheers guys, thanks for the positive comments. The oil has formed a puddle on the floor, you can see it coming from the bolts on the sump. There seems to be some forming around the oil pressure switch area also. I'm still unsure what to do, it's just such a shock at the moment.

Clean it all off with some spray on brake cleaner and compressed air, get under it and start it up (with someone else in charge of the ignition key of course) and check where the leak originates from. You man not have a sump leak.....

If possible get a UV dye to stick in the oil and use a UV lamp to spot the leak at the exact point it starts to leak out.

is it coming out from the bolt heads? or just dripping off them after running down from the sump to block joint?

It seems as though it's coming from under the heads. Possibly a mixture of the two. It is the cast sump to the block which is leaking, not the little one. It's mad because I checked this a few times before fitting it and I ran the sealant around the inside of the bolt holes on the mating surface.

It seems as though it's coming from under the heads. Possibly a mixture of the two. It is the cast sump to the block which is leaking, not the little one. It's mad because I checked this a few times before fitting it and I ran the sealant around the inside of the bolt holes on the mating surface.

Well i would identify one of the worst possible bolt head leaks clean it up like Kranz suggested and then remove this bolt and see if the thread/hole is all oily. I've no experience as yet of assembling these but on all of these bolts i've removed on their threads there has been fairly significant sealant residue so check if there is any. If not clean up the hole and apply some sealant on the thread and refit/torque.

I suspect if it is leaking straight from the block sump interface then it may have to be redone :(

I think it'll have to be redone. It's just annoying as it's the only part I can't get to without pulling the engine! I'll probably let it sit there for a few months before thinking of looking at it again. My fingers still haven't warmed up yet! If I get a good offer in that time I'll let her go.