The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driver window scratches

meph137

Has anyone got vertical scratches in their driver side door window? Seems as though other ppl have mentioned this, just wondered if there was a common cause...

Gonna have to take my door card off anyway sa the window sticks occasioanlly, usually when I'm in a car park trying to pay :D

Cheers!

I've had this too. I've taken the door card off and had a good look at how the window works. There's nothing metal / mechanical that can scratch the glass if the mechanism is set up correctly. The outer rubber trim doesn't really touch the glass until the window is fully up.

There's another 'felt' like strip just below the rubber outer one (you can see it when the window is fully wound down) which is in contact with the outer face of the glass and I reckon its minute bits of grit stuck to this strip that scratches the glass.

I've had no more scratches after I cleaned this strip (with a wet rag with the window wound down) and kept it clean regularly since.

I've read on here that 'jewelers rouge' may polish out fine scratches on the door glass, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've read on here that 'jewelers rouge' may polish out fine scratches on the door glass, but I haven't tried it yet.

Just had a look round on that, seems as though its kinda hard work, though I did find this which some people were going to try...

http://www.glasspolishshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=134&osCsid=54123d8c9fe99d8944544a1d54837008

It says £0.00 when you look at it, I dont know why as when you add to cart its £22.52

Might have a go, or just buy some new glass, that might be the cheaper option...