The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice please

c7hru

Bit of advice needed please (again!) lol

I finally have some cash available to be able to upgrade to a tt. The misses thinks i should use it to pay off some of the loan i have but i want to use it make the step up to a tt as if i don't do it now i don't think i will ever be able to. The advice I need is whether I should sell my na (auto, 1994) and put the money I get together and buy a tt or have the engine swap done on my na? Also if I do go the transplant route should I get the auto box or 5 speed manual? I see that quite a few people have gone the na-tt route recently so thought maybe they could have some helpful input too? I know i have asked similar questions before but I think it could be quite difficult to sell my car as there are so many around at silly prices?!!!

Also, do any of you think the misses has a point about using it to pay some off my loan?

Advice and help is welcome.

I thank you :)

Alex

i had mine done. very happy with it. no problems at all:) and a very good price for the job it is

How long ago did you get yours done and where did you get it done? Did you already have a 5 speed box or did you have a 5 speed conversion done as well?

Re: Ewan and Jamesy

I can totally see where you are coming from, however paying this money to the loan won't rid me of it completely it would just make the repayment term smaller. If you were in my position (bearing in mind i am only 23 ;) ) would you really use your head and pay off the loan? Hope that doesn't sound sarcastic?! just trying to make the right choice :blink:

If you were in my position (bearing in mind i am only 23 ;) ) would you really use your head and pay off the loan?

Yes mate. I'm only 24, and I'm fully qualified at making an @rse of things, if you know what I mean.

I suppose it depends on how set your job is etc, and could you afford your loan repayment along with your new fuel bill.:)

lol yeah definately know what you mean, i have been there, done that :blink:

How much extra fuel would a tt use compared to a na auto, i know autos 'use more' fuel than manuals but i didn't know how much more fuel a tt supe would drink compared to an na?! (may sound like a really stupid question, so i apologise in advance!)

I really couldn't answer that to be honest mate, I put fuel in mine last night for the 1st time in months. I barely use mine, I only use it a couple of times at the weekend, but you have insurance costs to factor in as well. Not to mention servicing, and the repair bills when something goes t!ts up.

I'm not trying to pee on your fire mate.:)

I can totally see where you are coming from, however paying this money to the loan won't rid me of it completely it would just make the repayment term smaller. If you were in my position (bearing in mind i am only 23 ;) ) would you really use your head and pay off the loan? Hope that doesn't sound sarcastic?! just trying to make the right choice :blink:

:) If I was your age, no. I've been there myself. However, at the age I am now and with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had payed off loans quicker when I had spare cash when I was your age. The amount I must have paid in interest over the years would be heartbreaking to see totted up.

Against that, had the MkIV been around at affordable prices when I was your age, and I'd bought an N/A but wished I'd had a TT, then I'd probably have sodded the loan and spent the money on the conversion.

Sorry again for a slightly less boring, but just as unhelpful answer :)

Guest johnnie

TT wouldn't consume much different petrol than N/A but if it single turbo than makes a lot differences. Remember that Turbo engine normally need more servicing than N/A.

:) If I was your age, no. I've been there myself. However, at the age I am now and with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had payed off loans quicker when I had spare cash when I was your age. The amount I must have paid in interest over the years would be heartbreaking to see totted up.

Against that, had the MkIV been around at affordable prices when I was your age, and I'd bought an N/A but wished I'd had a TT, then I'd probably have sodded the loan and spent the money on the conversion.

Sorry again for a slightly less boring, but just as unhelpful answer :)

Thanks Ewan :)

I can see what you are saying. It is just hard as I am so close to having what I have always wanted (tt) but seem as though I would be making the wrong decision if I did! :( Nothing is ever simple eh!

I really couldn't answer that to be honest mate, I put fuel in mine last night for the 1st time in months. I barely use mine, I only use it a couple of times at the weekend, but you have insurance costs to factor in as well. Not to mention servicing, and the repair bills when something goes t!ts up.

I'm not trying to pee on your fire mate.:)

Yeah I have thought about repair bills and that would probably be the thing that, if something did go proper t!ts up, would cause problems (i suppose it would with most people?). Insurance wasn't a problem I think it was only an extra £200 for the year iirc.

I suppose I am trying to convince myself it is the right thing to do? ;)

Yeah I have thought about repair bills and that would probably be the thing that, if something did go proper t!ts up, would cause problems (i suppose it would with most people?). Insurance wasn't a problem I think it was only an extra £200 for the year iirc.

I suppose I am trying to convince myself it is the right thing to do? ;)

You know what Alex, if this is what you have always wanted then just go for it mate. I'm sure you will be delighted with the power difference, just remember to factor in the cost of a few sets of good tyres throughout the year :D

At the end of the day it's only money, at least your not shoving it up your nose or p!ssing it on a wall..........You will have something to show for it.

You know what Alex, if this is what you have always wanted then just go for it mate. I'm sure you will be delighted with the power difference, just remember to factor in the cost of a few sets of good tyres throughout the year :D

At the end of the day it's only money, at least your not shoving it up your nose or p!ssing it on a wall..........You will have something to show for it.

Lol thanks mate

I was waiting for someone to say that (well hoping anyway!) Thanks, you have helped me to look at things from both angles.

I am going to the land of nod now, so will no doubt have dreams of driving around in a tt (how sad!!!!!!)

Have you enough information to make a decision ? Costs for conversion / insurance hike / running and servicing costs / resale value....vs money you could save on the loan / increased car costs etc etc. If you have and it comes down to your conscience, either way its not the end of the world. Decide and live with it...or pay off a wodge of mortgage / put it toward a house deposit...or be really boring and gamble it by bunging it into a pension fund.

God I sound like my dad rest his soul:d .I had a Daimler Sovereign 4.2 and a mortgage when I was 23 and couldn't afford the bills...you can guess what he thought of that.

If you can keep repayments under control and aren't overstretching yourself then go for the twin turbo.

As you get older the chances of buying and keeping an expensive car deminish.

You have to live life to its fullest without making yourself go bankrupt. So go for it. I would also buy a twin turbo and sell the NA.