The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thank you Mr Womble :)

michael

Please excuse me while I make a huge public thank you to 'womble' (aka John) for agreeing to meet up tonight and take me out for a very enjoyable drive in your car :eek: It was nice to meet you instead of passing in the opposite direction and I'm really grateful for your time.

Where do I begin.....

Firstly a massive thanks for the shocks, I seriously owe you one there!

Secondly - WOW!

For those who don't know John has the Chris Wilson suspension setup installed on his car, I'm going to give some of the credit to a good driver here but crikey that car handles! I thought my standard car was good on the bendy stuff but I'm in awe of a proper setup now, when the shock of my current expenses is sorted I feel a purchase coming on for sure. The roads were very greasy but there is no other way to describe things than "on rails" - at times the rails were slippy but the car seemed to be in control 100% of the time.

And the best till last - Turbo Technics hybrids on a UK spec.

I was honestly expecting something totally different, a lag infested horror of a car with huge top end - what I experienced was a car as docile and responsive as standard (bar 100rpm or so) but with a massive pull right up to the redline and beyond. No lag, no hesitation just power, relentless power that just kept coming and coming, it felt like it could just keep going and going - awesome! After being in the car and seeing how an upgrade like that can add an edge I didn't think existed I really can't see me going for a single and I'm certainly not worrying about loosing any drivability, the torque felt so much better than my car so I'm hoping for improvements there.

On the downside John was crazy / kind enough to let me drive his 6 speed, now I'm hooked and want one - how can anyone grumble about that gearbox, the J-Spec I drove must have been cack because I've never experienced such a precise gearbox in anything - truly a treat to play in, thanks for trusting me with your beast :)

I drove home in manual mode, thinking more and more about hybrids... I was really impressed!

Nice meeting you sir and thanks again, hope we can do it again sometime.

Morning Mike,

Nice to have finally met up with a fellow supra owner and it was a pleasure to have been able to help you out with the shocks. Thanks also for the kind words regarding my car in particular the Turbo Technics Hybrids and the Chris Wilson suspension both of which I've spoken of highly here on several occasions, it is however good to hear some one else echo my opinion.

Plenty gets said on here about hybrids (quite alot of it non too good) and without wanting to stick my neck out too much all I can say is that they can't have very good ones as without a doubt mine have made a great difference to the car giving it far better mid and top end power whilst retaining the nice responsive bottom end (oo er misses :p ), I can't wait to get a new intercooler fitted and start running more than 1.1 bar. As for the Chris Wilson suspension I've posted a review on this before for anyone who's interested but briefly in my opinion if there was one singe mod I could have (well one more after a de-cat) then this would be it, trust me on this one guys you will get from A - B quicker with this gear fitted and set up correctly.

Glad you enjoyed the ride out and good luck with your turbos.

John.

No pics of it I'm afraid, but it's probably fair to describe it as "cosmetically in need" as it 's got a small dent or two a fair few light scratches / stone chips and wheels that are well in need of a refurb / upgrade. As for the dynoing (if that's the right word) I'm going to wait till I get a new intercooler fitted as mines non too healthy and I don't fancy doing a fair few static runs with it in it's current state, but when that's sorted I think it'll be a trip to Thor which seems the best option unless anyone else can advise otherwise.

I am blushing... Thanks John, and Michael! I still remeber driving Johns car back from Leeds (I think...) in the morning rush hour, to Shropshire, with no operative clutch. And how i handled before the suspension was fixed, didn't it the Paul Radbone car problem of bizarre geometry? I seem to recall it steered by throttle as much as by steering wheel when you first got it. You thought it wasn't "quite right", I thought i was going into a field first time i drove it :eek:

Appreciate the kind words guys, I spent a lot of time on getting a good kit, and when i read things like this it makes it all worthwhile. As someone said in another thread, I am not into the "Bling" at all, I get more satisfaction from doing stuff that is rarely seen but can make massive diffrences. My own MKIV and my Skyline never had ANY major engine mods, but still I occasionally hear people on track days comment about "remember that dirty white Skyline" or "that old red Supra automatic". Suspension and brakes knock more off lap times, and make fast real world road usage more fun than mega horsepower every time, IMO.

Originally posted by mcanny

Please excuse me while I make a huge public thank you to 'womble' (aka John) for agreeing to meet up tonight and take me out for a very enjoyable drive in your car :eek: It was nice to meet you instead of passing in the opposite direction and I'm really grateful for your time.

Where do I begin.....

:chop:

Didnt I say you would be hooked on a Manual if you bought one??

I have to say that my manual feels twice as fast as my old auto...to be fair it does have an exhaust, intercooler etc, but it is only runing 0.9 bar as standard still.

I even out accelerated a 650cc motorbike the other day ;) that made me grin!!

Paul.

You're welcome Chris, once again a case of credit given where due. Not quite sure as to mine having the "Paul Radbone car problem" (not even sure what that is THB), if I remember rightly it was a case of loose (subframe I think) bolts and yeah the handling was dire, anything above 60 and it felt like you were on ice !. On the subject of mods I could't agree more, decent suspension, tyres and braking may not be the first things on many peoples shopping lists in the quest to go faster but with them you'll gain in all aspects of your drive in particular the grin factor. Anyone who's not so sure about this should go down to a trackday and watch owners of well ballanced cars / bikes run rings round HP monsters that are tying themselfs in knots as their owners struggle to not run off track :conf: / kill themselfs :( / both :eek: !!.

• 1 month later...

Hi womble,

There are more of us in leeds than I figured it seems,

I live fairly near michael so if you are over this side again gimme a shout for the usual beer/cup of tea/ food etc.

Sounds like you have an awesome car there, would be great to see.

Lewis

• 1 year later...