The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra and a 3SGTE Engine?!

Guest Tex

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can explain "why" ... heres my question:

I've done a lot of research into this, and I've noticed SOME of the high spec "Supra Twin Turbos", are not the standard "3.0ltr TT Engine" engine, but have been replaced with the "3SGTE" Engine! (same as the one in the MR2 Turbo)

Can anyone answer me ... WHY??

Why do they? it can't be just down to weight saving!??!

Surely the Torque produced from a straight 6, 3.0ltr is going to be more awesome to mod, than a 4 pot 3SGTE engine

look at this link: Click Me

This SUPRA has a 3SGTE engine and is pushing out 720HP @ 1.8Bar 8500rpm!!! Which is awesome!

Can anyone explain why??

Cheers

As the learned gentleman above quite rightly states the 3S-GTE lump is used to improve weight distribution and to reduce the overall weight of the car - a 6 cyl the size of that in the Supra must be rather lardy compared to a smaller 4 cyl 3S-GTE.

As far as power goes there are a lot of examples of the 3S-GTE with over 700bhp and heaps of torque, it's a great little engine, especially in the race trim spec with a 2.2L conversion and a nice big turbo - very reliable too when built properly.

Originally posted by Steve Cargill

I'm 99% sure that the racing Supra in Japan used that engine until last year when the moved to an evolution of the Lexus V8.

I wasn't aware of the change to the Lexus unit but the JGTC cars certainly used the 3S-GTE, as did Top Secret.

Look at all that lovely space...

It's that dream 2.2L with T88 combo I wanted so badly for my MR2.

Originally posted by mcanny

I wasn't aware of the change to the Lexus unit but the JGTC cars certainly used the 3S-GTE, as did Top Secret.

Look at all that lovely space...

It's that dream 2.2L with T88 combo I wanted so badly for my MR2.

That is nice.....

I used to have a link about the V8 Supra but can't find it now. Could well be linked to the next Supra/Toyota car.

whitesupraboy2, I've had both and I think mcanny had an MR2 turbo until recently also.

Very interesting reading!... thanks chaps

Whitesupraboy2 - :D I'm a MR2 owner, and wondering why basically!! :innocent:

My friend also in Bournemouth owns a Supra TT *electric blue* you may of seen it around, anyway, yeah we've been having this disussion and I was just puzzled!

The jap GT championship regs are extremely complex, but basically the car is more competitive with the lighter engine and reduced fuel consumption. They use the 503E engine, it LOOKS like a 3SGTE, but is in fact radically different and shares very very few parts. For example the engine runs 2 water cooling systems, the head and block being divorced, coolant wise, this is to help avoild hot spots in the ports and combustion chambers. it runs lots of external coolant pipes to do this and is nicknamed Medusa.

It's a bit long in the tooth now, but still a good engine when run on modern management. In GTP racing Toyota were seeing 1000 BHP in qualifying trim, 800 in race spec. The engine in the pics posted isn't a 503E though.