The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car not starting...help please

Duffman

Attempted to fit my Greddy BCC yesterday using a guide I found on here...wire it as as per attached pic and when I attepted to start the engine it wouldn't start.

So I then removed all I had done and put it back to the way it was and the car started no problems.

It was a bit ruff on idle however but other than that was running fine...had to give someone a lift somewhere which is a good 20 miles all in and no problems.

Problems started this morning however when I went out turned the key...and it sounded like it was going to start like normal but then would just die straight away. I found that if I kept my foot on the accelerator it would stay running but as soon as I took it off the car would die instantly.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Cheers

Sean

BCC.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you rejoin the map wire mate? sounds like it has come apart this is the one you connected the green wire to . double check it .

removed the BCC and joined the black/yellow wire using a terminal block

will check though

update on my last post....the car was running yesterday when i let the engine run at 2k revs for a little while with my foot on the accelerator..and when i removed it the engine was running ok

but went out to start today it will start but wont idle...like it was previously :search:

how did you rejoin the map wire mate? sounds like it has come apart this is the one you connected the green wire to . double check it .

using a terminal block....going to double check the map wire this morning

when did you last change your plugs too

Iridiums got fitted about 5k miles ago so don't reckon its them

Where did you ground it too? sounds like a bad earth tbh

spliced the black BCC wire onto the wire marked E on diagram(brown wire)

checked all fuses at drivers footwell they all seem to be ok

dont understand how it will only idle if i give it some revs till the heat builds up a bit

do you think i could of knoackeerd the ECU by fitting the BCC the wrong way?

Might possibly have nothing to do with your bcc. It could be your idle control valve, sticking.

where abouts it this mate?

:faint:

The Map sensor signal wire is one of the most important wires on the car! It should be soldered and heatshrinked or properly crimped.

Ryan

so do you think this could have something to do with it not idleing?

thats the black/yellow wire soldered and still no joy :(

it was a bit awkward to get in with the solder iron as you dont have much play with the length of the wire...I cut a bit of spare wire to extend the length and soldered it all up...this wire was slightly thicker than the original wire will this be ok?

the car is not even ticking over anymore....when i turn the key you canm hear it's really wanting to fire up but doesnt...after a few tries there was a very strong smell of petrol so could I of fludded the engine or something?

at least if i could get it running again then i could take it to somone who knows what they're doing

is it possible that I have damaged the ECU from previous incorrect fitting of BCC?

would a diagnostics check show where the problem lies?

Have you checked you haven't possibly pulled a pin out or caught wire... I know it is tough to get in close to the loom and it isn't that uncommon for one random one to come out or for a wire to be nicked.

So glad the terminal block went btw :)

would what you're saying above Gav explain the engine not idling?

when i was connecting the red/black BCC wires I decided not to use an electrical tap as i've had problems with these in the past....instead i removed a small section of the wire casing(without cutting the wire) and wrapped the BCC wire around it to ensure a good connection....then when I removed the BCC I just taped up where the wire was exposed. Don't know if that could be part of the problem

i also noticed the there is another box next to the ECU...think it said 'throttle control' and the one I was using was 'engine control'

sounds more like a problem with the throttle I think...I may be wrong :search:

also have checked fuses at drivers footwell all seem ok

I would recomend buying a field one touch coupler mate, i have never liked cutting into the ecu wires for this exact reason. Hope you get it sorted, this one is only for a vvti but i would think you will be able to get the non vvti one as well.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/FIELD-One-Touch-Coupler-Engine-Harness-Extension-Toyota-PT2-55223

Don't know if this will benefit me any though mate as i've already cut into the ECU wires.

Someone said that it could be the 'cold start valve' :search:. Where abouts is this so I can check?

I'm thinking more along the lines of I have caused some sort of problem inside the ECU by fitting the BCC incorrectly...how would I find out whats wrong? Would a diagnostics check be able to trace the problem?

went out this morning and checked the following

fuses - fine (although didnt know how to open the 'starter relay' to have a look at this

checked all connections - had a gd look they were all fine also no wires had came loose etc

checked hoses - none appeared to of been loose or split

checked turbo pressure sensor - checked for any obvious signs of damage as the map sensor wire which was cut connects here

check cold start valve - couldn't find this...anyone point me in the right direction?

is defo looking like its some sort of electrical problem perhaps within the ECU itself

anyone any the wiser as to what might be wrong?

I would bet you've fouled up the plugs by running the motor mad rich, I'd put another set of plugs in it, unless you have a proper industrial plug cleaning machine to blast the ones in it now. Count up the hours and hassle, and tell me honestly that 25 quid spent having someone else fit it now seems expensive ;)

I would bet you've fouled up the plugs by running the motor mad rich, I'd put another set of plugs in it, unless you have a proper industrial plug cleaning machine to blast the ones in it now. Count up the hours and hassle, and tell me honestly that 25 quid spent having someone else fit it now seems expensive ;)

i have suggested this and its worth a shot the amount of times we have been to the docks trying to run non starter cars with no luck and most were due to plugs being fouled..

try it and it eliminates that issue and make sure your batt is fully charged...

also check your ignitor pack..(common fault too)

So would that explain why it was starting but wouldn't idle until I had revved it till warm? And that now it won't fire up at all?

So is that the only damage that might be done do you reckon?

I've got Iridiums fitted at the moment but don't fancy buying a new set of them unless thats defo the problem....could I get away with buying a normal set of plugs to verify this is the problem?

:banghead: I know I should of just got someone who knew what they were doing to fit it....that'll be the last unless i'm 100% what i'm doing

So would that explain why it was starting but wouldn't idle until I had revved it till warm? And that now it won't fire up at all?

So is that the only damage that might be done do you reckon?

I've got Iridiums fitted at the moment but don't fancy buying a new set of them unless thats defo the problem....could I get away with buying a normal set of plugs to verify this is the problem?

:banghead: I know I should of just got someone who knew what they were doing to fit it....that'll be the last unless i'm 100% what i'm doing

yes you can buy some cheap plugs to get it start it.. then you need to buy some uprated ones as old ones are old..

but since you done 5k or so why dont you buy iridiums, it might cost you more buying some cheap ones then buying iridiums again will cost you even more..

so buy the plugs even if it does not solve your issues, it just means you have new plugs which you will need sooner or later anyhow, so its not a cost in reality to solving the problem, but a service part.

am sure this will work:)

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

yes you can buy some cheap plugs to get it start it.. then you need to buy some uprated ones as old ones are old..

but since you done 5k or so why dont you buy iridiums, it might cost you more buying some cheap ones then buying iridiums again will cost you even more..

so buy the plugs even if it does not solve your issues, it just means you have new plugs which you will need sooner or later anyhow, so its not a cost in reality to solving the problem, but a maintance.

am sure this will work:)

Think this could be a more cost effective way in the long run as not much point in having to buy both.

How much do a set retail at mate and where's the best place to get them?