The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI TT Aeroptop?

Guest vvtiguy

Guest vvtiguy

Hey guys!

Im looking to buy my 4th supra and im faced with a grey area where my knowledge of models isnt all that great.

Im looking at the facelift model with VVTI in Aerotop guise.

My question is, are there any Twin Turbo Aerotops with VVTI?

I've done plenty of searching around on the net and various supra forums (including this one) but i cant seem to find any evidence of Toyota ever making aerotop twin turbos since the facelift.

I've seen a few Non turbo vvti aerotops lingering around.

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

Also on a side note, does anyone know whether aerotops were available right up to the end on production in 2002? And also whether the Tiptronic was available on the non turbo?

Essentially im after a tiptronic aerotop. If they never did twin turbo's then thats fine as im planning an engine swap anyway.

Cheers :)

Edited by vvtiguy (see edit history)

Guest vvtiguy

Hi, yeah thats what i thought. From what i can see the aerotop was only available in twin turbo guise on the GZ which was dumped prior to the facelift. It seems every facelift aerotop i see is nasp. Not a problem though!

Now just hoping someone knows how late the aerotops were available and whether triptronic was an option. Cheers :)

Guest vvtiguy

Cheers guys. If they did facelift VVTI Aerotop Twin Turbo's i was going to go down that route. On the basis that they dont im going to get a nasp facelift vvti aerotop and rev3 1UZ to get the same power rather than track down a turbo lump and start mounting intercoolers etc

Does anyone know about the end of production on the aerotops? or the tiptronic being an option on the nasp?

cheers

Guest vvtiguy

Hi Jurgen,

Yeah i've seen a 2000. Not sure whether this is a model year 2000 or just a late selling 99 but it could well be that 99 was the final aerotop year. What gearbox did that car have? was it the standard auto?

Guest vvtiguy

i see....so the facelifts are all non vvti unless they are turbo'd?

Are you sure? Im almost certain i've seen vvti nasp supra's in the past and also wikipedia says that na vvti's exist....

i see....so the facelifts are all non vvti unless they are turbo'd?

Are you sure? Im almost certain i've seen vvti nasp supra's in the past and also wikipedia says that na vvti's exist....

That'll be in LHD - the RHD NA's didn't get VVTi'd.

I've got a Jap Facelift brochure (yr 2000) and it certainly wasn't a model they offered.

Guest vvtiguy

Never said wikipedia was a reliable source of information Bob. Just said that wikipedia lists it as a model.

My late supra brochure clearly shows RHD VVTI 2JZ-GE's. Not saying this proves they exist though.

I will need to scan it in at work and then upload the pictures.

Thank you everyone for your input on this thread by the way.

Never said wikipedia was a reliable source of information Bob. Just said that wikipedia lists it as a model.

My late supra brochure clearly shows RHD VVTI 2JZ-GE's. Not saying this proves they exist though.

I will need to scan it in at work and then upload the pictures.

Thank you everyone for your input on this thread by the way.

There was a discussion about the RHD VVTI GE earlier this year, some people claimed to have seen them but they turned out to be LHD. To date I don't think we've ever seen one on the forum, though thats not to say they don't exist.

Guest vvtiguy

Just thought i'd mention this for anyone who is interested.

I stumbled accross this site...

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Which states that Aerotop production ended August 1999.

I have spend most of this morning going through my Late Jap EPC CD's looking at frame numbers and it appears to tie in with this site. There doesnt appear to be anything Aerotop post 1999 and i'd say that this is pretty conclusive. I have seen a 2000 aerotop once on kingbuyer but this must have been a late sale of a 99 model.