The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Marshall Tyres?

Big Ian

anyone using or used Marshal tyre's?

i need 2 tyre's for my Sup (255/40/17) and my mate who work's for a tyre fitting centre has recomended them, he say's there a better dry weather tyre than most bigger brand's and probably on a level par with the rest in the wet .. don't see many road tyres working well in the wet with a Supra? he has them on his 300Z and say's they grip better than his last set of Bridgestones.

i'll cut the chase: they are the only make of tyre's he can get in that size for the end of the week (maybe tomorrow?)

other make's he can get are Nexon or Stunners! .. don't fancy either of them :blink:

cheer's Andrew .. i'm not a wheel spin'n fan, maybe the odd rear end slide (some times) i never push in the wet .. or ice, snow etc ;)

only real budget tyre ive used in the past where Nankang tyre's, used them on a few car's but after a side wall split on my E39 BMW i decided never to use that make again. :tongue:

KU17 is a Kumho code...

Marshall are probably rebagded Kumho - which is faintly rediculous as Kumho take their technology from the leaders like Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli.

Personally I wouldn't put a budget tyre on a Supra...a few of our members are dead, and yet a decent tyre might have saved their lives. Infact one of our departed asked advice on budget tyres...

Edited by Alex (see edit history)

Cheapo's will end up giving you the fright of your life.

Or much worse.

My Nankangs nearly killed me..... They were quickly replaced (along with underwear) by Goodyear Eagle GSD-3's and a new found respect for 3 litre rear wheel drive twin turbo cars in the wet :taped:

I had marshalls on my 300zx TT (265/40/18 I think).....took them off after 3 weeks (in summer) as they really were that scary!!

I think tyres like this are fine for front wheel drive cars or BMW/Merc drivers that would never consider powering through a corner, but if you use the throttle to control the car I would strongly advise you against cheap tyres......they really aren't worth it when you consider that it would only cost an extra 70-80quid to get a better pair

I bought wheels off a guy that smashed his Supra (3 only, one was knackered). He had tyres with lots of tread on - Ventura Sport, 275/35/18. When I fitted his wheels on my car I went 8 miles before deciding a) they had to come off immediately b) why he had totalled his supra. I was spinning the wheels up in 4th gear at BPU, never happened before or since

i went and spoke to my mate (the tyre fitter) and asked if he could chase up any other make of tyre, so after a few min's of us both having reason as to what make of tyre i'd like on my car he then told me, go to my house and take my 300Z out for a spin!

well i did, i drove it as i'd drive my own car and i was more than pleased with them, the road's are greasy with salt and dampness and the tyre's done a top job, it didn't step out (unless i wanted it to) he has covered over 3K miles with them.

the proper tyre code for the one's he has and that i'll be fitting are: Matac XM KH35, they come straight from his Kumho supplier.

he say's if he wanted to sell me a so called "budget tyre" he'd have offered something like Admiral, Federal, Stunner, Nankang or nexen .. marshal are a side line of Kumho and they both carry the same warranty as they are made the same way.

he rate's the Marshal well up there and after driving his car with 4 fitted i can only agree.

I had marshalls on my last car , first set of 17's i bought for it! i didnt like them on that which was a 1.6! soon got changed for some yoko's ! So i personally wouldnt have them again! Maybe cheap but for a reason ! Safety first!

Marshal and Kuhmo are both the upper end of the budget tyres.

I bought a Soarer with almost new Kuhmos on it, and immediately replaced them with Toyos, they (the Kuhmos) were just awful, losing their grip suddenly and completely. There was no comparison to the T1Rs. A far better tyre for not much more money.

Dont do it!

How many posts does it take before you might ACTUALLY hear what people are saying 'Don't fit crap tyres'

i'm ment to get the Marshals fitted tomorrow, maybe not now though ;) i'll have a word for something better and if he can't help i'll go else-where :yes: