The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting out

jacko

Ive got a problem with the Supra cutting out. It happened last night when i turned the engine on and went to drive off from McDonalds! It then started and i got around 100 metres and it cut out again. I thought maybe it had pulled some crap up out the bottom of the tank as i was quite low on fuel. I left it for a bit and then turned it on again and it drove ok into the petrol station. I thought it was all sorted after i had put some petrol in, but today it did it again when i pulled up to a junction. Any ideas? I wondered if it had pulled some crap up out the tank and its stuck in the filter or something?

I've had this problem twice. Both times it turned out to be the fuel pump.

1st time it happened the pump just died and the 2nd time was because the wires to the fuel pump became exposed (dont know how!) and obviously shorted it.

My advice is to stop driving it until you've taken the pump out and had a good look at it

ye i was thinking fuel pump, where do i get to it? Under the back seats?

This means im going to have to get an uprated pump and then go BPU....... Bugger..........

Take the spare wheel out and you'll see theres a plastic circular thing to unscrew (very tight), try tapping it round with a mallet or something like that.

Have a search for 'changing fuel pump' or something simailar I'm sure theres a guide on how to do it. It'll help :)