The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prices for heater matrix replacement

JamesF

I thought it would be hellaciously expensive (Even though Jezz's price is good, Id have to trailer it the 170miles down there so its a false economy).

Looks like Ill have a bash at it myself then.

Couldnt the matrix be by passed so it could still be driven ?

As DNK says, the car could be used indefinitely with the pipes just connected together, 170 miles is neither here, nor there. It's a job that you'll regret tackling yourself. Once it's been done a few times, like all jobs, it becomes faster and more efficient :)

:yeahthat: £500 is an excellent price and the probable reason Jezz can do it at this price is he has a lot of experience and knows all the tricks, however with the current temperatures i would buy a cheap fag lighter socket car heater off ebay, 170 miles with no heating at the moment would be "character building" and potentially dangerous :(

Well to be fair Ive been reading up on the thing about bypassing the matrix/blocking the matrix off and Im not overly keen on the idea. I dont like the idea of a) coolant moving too fast through the engine or b) the heat spread and hot spots across the head thats been mentioned. And to be fair, it still needs to be replaced, so why not do it while Ive got the carpet and seats out and my Dads off work...

The issue with the £500 price is trailering The supra at 50mph to drive from Lancashire to Northants. It would be a bit of a mission. Plus stripping the car down doesnt look impossible, it just looks like an enormous pain in the arse. That'll be character building :D