The mkiv Supra Owners Club

r33 gts-t or twin turbo sup?

c7hru

Hi Guys

Merry Christmas :)

Just a quick question for you all, (may sound like a really stupid question as this is a supra forum) i currently have an n/a and am thinking about getting a new car. I am stuck between the skyline and supra (as title suggests) and just wondered if anyone here has driven both, if so what their thoughts were and any info on what the two are like and how they compare?

I thank you :D

Alex

When i bought my Supra TT i also went to look at a Skyline GTS/T as i didnt know which i wanted,but after trying out the Skyline then the Supra the Skyline was not a patch on the Supra TT, you have to throw alot of money at a skyline to get some decent power out of it. The Supra TT was much quicker and that was before i had my TT BPU. :D

I had a Supra NA and now I'm driving this R33 GTS-T with a few mods.

I will not compare it with a Supra TT, simply because it doesn't have the same power as stock. However I think in terms of overall performance it's better than the Supra NA. It's more powerful (the NA has more torque at lower rpm's though), lighter, has better brakes and dare I say, it handles better. In terms of looks, well that's another topic, some people love them some people don't, same thing with the Supra. I love the looks of both cars.

It's fairly easy to get them to 330bhp, all you need is full exhaust system, FMIC, new coilpacks, boost controller and either a remap or a stage1 ECU from RSP. The stock turbo has a ceramic turbine so it will handle 0.85bar max and that's pretty much it. The RB25 block is quite strong and apparently can handle upto 450-500bhp on stock internals but you'll obviously need a bigger turbo, ECU, injectors and fuel pump for that.

Personally, if I had to choose between the NA and the GTS-T, it's the Skyline hands down. However if I had to choose between the GTS-T and the "proper" Supra, that would be the proper Supra, with no question.

Out of the GTST and a TT then it really is a no brainer, get the TT. The Skyline will cost more to insure and after your've had the car a few months and get bored with the power the supra is alot cheaper to increase.

The GTST is the same as a boxster, everyone looks and thinks why not get the big brother!

The GTST is the same as a boxster, everyone looks and thinks why not get the big brother!

Not quite. I was surprised to see how many moded GTS-T's out there are faster and more fun to drive than the GTR's.

Remember, the GTR's are heavier and IMO all offer more than the GTS-T is the torque split and the RB26. The main difference once you start modifying them both is that one is an AWD and the other one a true RWD. You can get the same power levels out of both cars, $$$ is the limit.

I had a spec 2 for a little while, felt real slow but it was stock, it drove and handled well though, I had stock shocks with tanabe springs (sat quite low) and 16" R32 GTR wheels on it and it was really easy to control.

I would say it would be a good stepping stone purely as you can get one so cheap now that there are so many about.

I would recommened getting a spec 2 GTS-T, 96 > iirc, I'm not totally sure what it was but the spec 2 had a few nicer touches over the 1 and it's just felt a lot better to drive over the older ones too, the steering was nicer and and this was comparing my spec 2 to 4/5 other spec 1's I had driven

Take it to 300bhp and it should be quite fun, the RB25 isnt in the same league for strength as the 2JZ but it should sit around 300bhp quite happily.

I've personally seen 4/5 rb25's fail at around 400bhp (all had cracked pistons ring lands iirc) so for big power you'll be looking at needing a rebuild with forged parts.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

The Supra is far better made, and will probably handle high mileage better. It has more value for a given year and mileage. It will probably rust less. I'm not biased by owning a MKIV TT I own a GTS-t.... If a TT goes wrong it could potentially cost a LOT more than a GTS-t to fix, and comparing stock cars it'll use a lot more petrol. Neither are good choices if you live on the financial edge, both can be quite wallet denting ;)