The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with air filter

hemmjonny

Hi all just a quick one.

I am thinking of getting an Apexi power intake air filter and there are a few on eBay but most say there for Evo’s and Scooby’s is it just the fitting kit that is different or is the filter its self different?

Thanks

Jonathan

Don't quote me on saying this but I believe the actual filter is the same it's just the intake system which is different and I *think* it is supplied if you

buy it directly for the car you intend to fit it with...

Do you have an N/A or a TT??

yup

Well to be honest and you ask anyone on this forum, you would be alot better off leaving the stock airbox as it is...

The only thing I would upgrade would be the filter inside the airbox to a Tom's filter or something along those lines...

The stock airbox is a fantasic bit of kit and by removing it with an aftermarket one, it will only reduce the power of your engine from heatsoak

where as the stock airbox will not have this as it is enclosed...

:)

Don’t like the idea of reducing power lol would a heat shield not sort that out? (sorry prob been covered loads)

Just i was driving my friends Skyline tonight and that has the same filter on it and I really like the noise lol sorry

No don't be sorry, it's your Supra...:)

A heat shield would do this yes but you are still going to get heatsoak from your engine.

It is vital that your engine and especially your Turbo's get a good amount of cold, clean air.

The Apexi induction kit is a very good filter but as I say, Toyota made their own induction system for a reason and it is very efficient...:)

As I say, I would just upgrade the filter inside and then you are getting the best of both worlds...:)

Ok thanks buddy think I am going to sleep on it. Will prob keep it as it is and just upgrade the panel like you said umm don’t no lol

Thanks again for your help

Jonathan

No worries Jonathan...:)

The only time you will need to replace the stock airbox is if and when you go for a single Turbo conversion...:eyebrows: :D

As I say though, if you ask anybody the same question, you will more than likely get the same reply...:D

Shane...:)

Ok thanks buddy think I am going to sleep on it. Will prob keep it as it is and just upgrade the panel like you said umm don’t no lol

Thanks again for your help

Jonathan

but the stock one looks so boring......these aftermarket short ram intakes look so cool.....

More people are having a Air box/heat shield fabricated now thought to fit the Apexi Air Filter. so i guess you will get the power of the intake system and probably the bling look of the box, but to avoid heatsoak (by putting it in a box similar to the one that already there) you wont see your cone. at the end of the day each to their own.. so people dont mind losing a few horses for the sake of a nice clean bay.