The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery isolator

stevie_b

I'm thinking of fitting a battery isolator to the supra to help preserve battery charge when not in use for a week or two. I can't run mains power to where I keep the supra, so a trickle charger is not an option. :(

1) Is there a particular one that people recommend? Would this kind of thing be suitable (the top item on the page)?

2) Where should it be fitted? In the engine bay interrupting the -ve battery feed, or in the dashboard somehow (I don't know how this would be possible without extensive and obtrusive cabling)? I've seen this thread where isolator location is discussed, but I guess they're talking about racing cars.

I can't answer your questions, but you might want to check your insurance policy; many state that if the alarm & immob aren't activated at the time of any theft, you'renot covered. I don't know how valid that sort of sentiment would be in the eyes of the law, but I wouldnt want to risk it if at all avoidable.

Good point, I''ll check with them. Mind you, it's a catch-22 situation. If I don't unplug the battery or use an isolator switch, the battery will run flat, which will prevent the alarm from working, which will invalidate my policy... :(

Does anyone have any alternative ideas (apart from driving it more, obviously)? The car's kept in a rental garage, so a solar panel charger will be difficult too. Incidentally, does anyone on here use a solar charger? If so are they any good? I imagine they're as effective as a fart in a hurricane.

I have one of these, not fitted yet though.

http://www.demon-tweeks.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=CTKCK-BK-05-B

You could wire a seperate supply for the alarm/imob.

Holy smoke! That's expensive! When you say "separate supply for the alarm/immob", do you mean putting a second battery in the car? If so, wouldn't that suffer from the same discharge problem as a single battery, albeit slower?

Holy smoke! That's expensive! When you say "separate supply for the alarm/immob", do you mean putting a second battery in the car? If so, wouldn't that suffer from the same discharge problem as a single battery, albeit slower?

I ment off the main battery but have just the alarm powered nothing else.

How long are you planning on leaving the car between uses as the stock battery should be fine for about 2 weeks anyway unless its being drained by something other than your alarm.

I'll probably leave the car for 2 weeks max between uses. The nice man from the RAC who gave me a jump start yesterday tested the current drain, and he said that it was at a normal level. After about 10 days of non-usage, the battery was flat. :( Maybe the battery's had it...

The better ones work fine. I would imagine you could make your own if you had the inclination.

Hi Chris,

I have been having the same problem with my battery of late, with it being icy I try not to use the supra and it can be stood for upto 2-3 weeks sometimes.

In your opinion what would be a good solar powered charger to buy?