The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it Possible to obtain a Supra in South Africa?

Guest s0LiD

Hi, My name's Chris.

I'm from Cape Town in South Africa, and I'm certainly a n00b to the Supra because they are extremely rare here, the lucky few who own them pretty much only use them for track use. That being said, I am an avid fan of the Supra and have been following the Mk4 for a few years now, mostly out of a book or online pics though.

So, my question to you guys is: Is there a way of legally importing a Supra and licensing it for road use? and at what sort of costs are we talking?

I've been looking into Jap-Imports as the Rand/Yen exchange rate is probably the easiest on my pocket.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks for the great site.

Hi been looking into it for quite a while now, apart from all the paperwork needed and the huge customs fees it is simply not worth it. You are looking at over R200 000 min spent.

There is a guy selling his supra for R250 000, legally registered and the works, his name is Dirk if I recall correctly (gumtree).

Next best thing is to buy one in Namibia etc and take the annual trip.

there are a few ways to get an import into SA, however none would be worth it, honestly.

1. track use only - not road legal, so not much use to you

2. own the car for 2 years outside of SA and you can import it into SA - 2 years is a long time to wait

3. buy one new.... rather difficult.

4. I think you can also looking at registering it outside of SA (Namibia, Mozambique, etc), however car needs to go back once a year. Living in CPT not really an option....

5. try find one there already...

No real loop holes that I knew of, spent ages looking at ways to import........