The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do you gain lost horsepower

w41k3r

Im just wondering what i can do to try and get my soop back or as close to original bhp as new, ie do i give it a full service (list of things recommeded doing would be nice) or do i do something like port and polish cleanning the intake dunno much else would be greatful for help/tips.

New fluids and filters and a compression test to see if anything is amiss inside.

If a turbo then look at the condition of your intercooler and pipework and don't forget the turbos themselves, have your o2 sensor checked, basicaly a damn good look at everything.

You could try blending some fresh horses in with the oil when you change it.

I tried asking that question once and just got told to buy another N/A engine and do a swap, but you're still in the same boat of having an old and potentially corpse-ridden engine. Admittedly, there are 40 dead horses and a serious oil addiction in my engine.

If it's down on power you need to get some accurate tests done. What boost is it making on a proper, accurate, certified gauge? What compression figures, hot and cold? What leak-down figures? How many miles has it done? It could be as simple as a boost leak, or as complex as needing a new or fully rebuilt engine.

I am assuming it's a TT, you didn't say, and then the thread ran off at a tangent.

Well, the lack of turbos on mine rules out a boost leak, as for the rest, I've not had the time to get it looked at yet. Just keep putting 1l of oil in every 1k miles and enjoy the ride. One day I'll actually be able to afford to get it looked at, unfortunately, stupid bills keep spoiling my plans.

[edit] A fully rebuilt engine would be nice, though. Just 'cos it's an N/A, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to run as well as it should. I don't want silly horsepower, just what it came out the factory with.

Well, the lack of turbos on mine rules out a boost leak, as for the rest, I've not had the time to get it looked at yet. Just keep putting 1l of oil in every 1k miles and enjoy the ride. One day I'll actually be able to afford to get it looked at, unfortunately, stupid bills keep spoiling my plans.

[edit] A fully rebuilt engine would be nice, though. Just 'cos it's an N/A, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to run as well as it should. I don't want silly horsepower, just what it came out the factory with.

If you can afford to get it to Keron's for an engine swap then you can have my N/A engine for free if you want, it's got really low miles on it(I think it was somewhere between 40k-50k) and should keep costs down a bit.

It should be coming out the car March time.

Well finally got time to reply i thank andrewOW for being able to read my username as what its ment to be WALKER i carnt ever remmember a time when a 1 has been used as a N. Sitting back at my laptop i see matth as retard but then again im not trying to be funny i havn`t yet become a member on here but as of yet in countless posts through searching all i find are pointless answers and clowns, i didnt realise how unhelpful a forum was supposed to be. My car is an n\a and it has 60,000 on it i just want to make it run its best. The reason for asking was the top gear episode where they took the renault avantime they dyno`d it at 157.4hp then apparently after a good service new intake manifold and injectors they made 206hp could be false but just wanted to see if its possible to gain lost horsepower.

Well finally got time to reply i thank andrewOW for being able to read my username as what its ment to be WALKER i carnt ever remmember a time when a 1 has been used as a N. Sitting back at my laptop i see matth as retard but then again im not trying to be funny i havn`t yet become a member on here but as of yet in countless posts through searching all i find are pointless answers and clowns, i didnt realise how unhelpful a forum was supposed to be. My car is an n\a and it has 60,000 on it i just want to make it run its best. The reason for asking was the top gear episode where they took the renault avantime they dyno`d it at 157.4hp then apparently after a good service new intake manifold and injectors they made 206hp could be false but just wanted to see if its possible to gain lost horsepower.

Fair play mate, when i joined i found this the most freindly club i have ever been joined.

There are some characters on here dude you just need to know how to take them, not that we would expect you to know straight away as you have not been here that long.

Do a compression and leakdown test this will tell you how good condition your piston rings are valve seats are in. If all is good there then it would be serviceable items that would need to be looked at, such as filters, fuel pumps, injectors, spark plugs basicly common wear engine parts really and electricals.

Hope this helps mate.

Thankyou that does help, my car isn`t running bad it wasn`t pulling great when i first got it but after removing the hks filter, cleaning the mank out of the intake and removing my old 5zigen cat back, which when rattled had somthing solid rattling round in it its running alot better and pulling alot harder.

Question is whats most worthwile to helping it run best spark plugs, oil, fuel filter just wondering so i can buy them and freshen it up.

My car is an n\a and it has 60,000 on it i just want to make it run its best. The reason for asking was the top gear episode where they took the renault avantime they dyno`d it at 157.4hp then apparently after a good service new intake manifold and injectors they made 206hp could be false but just wanted to see if its possible to gain lost horsepower.

Was the figure they provided Rear wheel HP or Flywheel HP?

Is your car an auto or a 5spd?

its a 5spd its not been dyno`d yet as before i do i want it running its best thats why i asked what options do i have.Will it be worth things like changing injectors or having the intake manifold taken apart and cleand or porting and polishing the head, it seems it hasn`t really been covered.

well a head rebuild would be a good start, if it's something you can do yourself go for it!, i'm sure the valves are pretty damn coked so a good clean will be good and you could then do some porting while the head is off.

Sounds like a lot of work for a N/a. Pointless if you ask me and I am probably in the same boat tbh.

I am just saving the pennies for the NA-TT conversion, which relative to the cost of a service and tuning parts for the NA is not THAT much more.

its a 5spd its not been dyno`d yet as before i do i want it running its best thats why i asked what options do i have.Will it be worth things like changing injectors or having the intake manifold taken apart and cleand or porting and polishing the head, it seems it hasn`t really been covered.

There's no point though, if the engine is down on power and all service items have been checked and replaced it's a dud. It'd be far easier and cheaper getting a replacement engine. NA power increases have been done to death, there's almost nothing you can do to release more power

There's no point though, if the engine is down on power and all service items have been checked and replaced it's a dud. It'd be far easier and cheaper getting a replacement engine. NA power increases have been done to death, there's almost nothing you can do to release more power

Well, nothing cheap. This is a forced induction site where people are used to 100bhp gains for £1500.

Got to e36.com or any 3 series site and see how much those guys spend getting a 330Ci from 220 odd bhp to 250.

The principle remains the same, more air and fuel = more power.