The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reverting to Standard Exhaust?

Darren-K

Because of lots of complaints of noise from neighbours wherever i live,.

ive decided i have to get my car quieter or sell it.,

Its only in the mornings when the car is on auto-choke that i get complaints usualy,i dont even let the car warm up anymore,i drive off as soon as the key is turned so i dont wake anybody :(

the zorst on my car is a full stainless steel 1 piece RS*R,

now my question ,

do i have to change the whole exhaust or can i just change the back box/pipe ?

Thanks for any help.

i did get a baffle for it earlier this year but its too small and makes no volume difference :(

The baffle in the RSR makes a huge difference to the sound, it seems like you got hold of the wrong one. I'm pretty sure Envy sell these for not too many £ (about £40?). It'd be a big saving over replacing the whole thing.

It's still not exactly quiet though and isn't ideal if you have a TT and running higher boost.

The stock one is of course near silent, so might be best, but it will affect the performance of a TT. It's a direct drop in to replace the RSR, nothing else needed apart from the hanger rubbers if they've been removed.

Edit - just seen it's an SZ, so you can use the baffle without any real issue.

What about a tanabe medallion touring. has a little bit of noise but fine to start at any time of night

Just checked out a couple of vids of the Tanabe,very nice - my only concern tho is that my zorst is actualy quiet on normal tick-over,its auto choke when the revs sit at around 2000rpm for like 4-5 mins that i have all the problems.:(

Just checked out a couple of vids of the Tanabe,very nice - my only concern tho is that my zorst is actualy quiet on normal tick-over,its auto choke when the revs sit at around 2000rpm for like 4-5 mins that i have all the problems.:(

I think the problem is the 2000rpm idle!

4-5 minutes!! It's an NA, just start it and drive away. Just keep the revs low and the throttle gentle until it's warmed up a bit.

Arent i screwing the engine Homer if i dont let it warm ?

So long as the oil is good not at all. All modern cars are meant to be driven off from cold, in the manual on my 328 and M3 BMWs it specifically said NOT to let it 'warm' on the driveway, just to start it and drive it.

I never, ever warmed the car up before driving, unless it was below zero, whether its an NA, TT, BPU or single. Just made sure not to use the turbo's or full throttle until it was up to temp.

I have a HKS high power exhaust that I've modded. I cut the back box off and replaced it with a Xforce varex backbox. It has an electric motor that opens and closes a valve by the touch of a button. It doesn't block the exhaust like the apexi, it routes the gases through the chambers in the backbox to quieten it down. I have yet to test the results on my car (3" straight through).