The mkiv Supra Owners Club

P1 or M3?

jassi_hayre

Evening all,

Hopefully you will have seen my earlier posts on turning my NA into a track car which has been my daily drive for last seven years.

I'm thinking of using an E46 M3 or Impreza P1 as my daily drive instead but not sure which to go for?

If you had to go for one, which would it be and why?

N.B. I'd like to test drive them before purchasing but cant find a place to hire either. A 10 min test drive in which the owner is present isnt likely to reveal anything.

Thanks

Jas

I use my 320bhp P1 for everyday use, can be a pita with the noise (mines stripped out) and harsh ride etc, the M3 will be alot better for this

Completely different cars tbh, depends what you are after

M3 is Quick a refined

P1 is Quick and brutal, and in this weather its a hoot

Daily use will consist of around 40 miles on motorway and 30 miles down country / B roads.

This might sound strange but I always thought my NA was a bit relaxing. I want something a bit different and with an edge. I would have gone for a Tuscan or T350 if they had 4 seats with reasonable boot.

However I'm a bit worried about stigma scoobies and Evo's are getting plus a few advertised P1's have had rebuilt engines which makes me think they will go bang a lot easier than M3's.

Plus really long journeys (cropping up more often) in a P1 could become a pain and a M3 with SMG may make up for a bit of the lost fun factor.

Anyone know a place that has either for hire?

Jas

Edited by jassi_hayre (see edit history)

Just got for a test drive in two cars that you like

The P1 has Edge by the bucket load. Rebuilds seem to be a bit random on all subarus, but a rebuilt engine would be a good bet as they are generally stronger if done properly. But if well looked after there is nos reaon why a no rebuilder wont last.

A survey Done on P1woc.co.uk showed a large amount of owners on original engines still at 70k+ miles

I have Impreza and the Supra TT i use the supra for my best car on nice days and the Impreza is used if the weather is wet or icy. I test drove a BMW but i chose the Impreza dunno why i just liked it better imo. Both drink the petrol tho :)

Great fun thought arent they! :D

I have Impreza and the Supra TT i use the supra for my best car on nice days and the Impreza is used if the weather is wet or icy. I test drove a BMW but i chose the Impreza dunno why i just liked it better imo. Both drink the petrol tho :)

Was the beemer hard on the juice? Ours was really good on petrol, high compression ratio motors are always better on juice that low comp turbo motors, thats one of the things we miss about the m3 was the fuel economy when sitting on the dual carriageway all day, gave over 30mpg.

Was the beemer hard on the juice? Ours was really good on petrol, high compression ratio motors are always better on juice that low comp turbo motors, thats one of the things we miss about the m3 was the fuel economy when sitting on the dual carriageway all day, gave over 30mpg.

Only took it for a quick test drive so i dont know

This is the big problem.

If I spend 15 mins in a m3 and then a week later I spend another 15 mins in a P1 then I cant really compare and make a decision on that. Ideally I'd like to have each car for a couple of days each.

I cant believe nobody has these for hire.

They'd be wrapped around a lamp post before they were a month old if any tom dick or harry could rent them.

This is the big problem.

If I spend 15 mins in a m3 and then a week later I spend another 15 mins in a P1 then I cant really compare and make a decision on that. Ideally I'd like to have each car for a couple of days each.

I cant believe nobody has these for hire.

You'll remember what they are like a week apart. You'll notice the P1 will feel gutsy even though it hasn't got that much more torque.

Out of interest have you already discounted a facelift Supra TT?

I've been deliberating about a facelift TT for best part of 6 months. Although main reason for change is to get some more power and you cant really comapre a NA to a TT; both are still Supra's at end of day. So made up mind for complete change. Besides I'll still have the NA (hopefully lighter and faster).

Jas

I'm thinking of using an E46 M3 or Impreza P1 as my daily drive instead but not sure which to go for?

If you had to go for one, which would it be and why?

Thanks

Jas

E46 M3, as a daily drive, is refined and relaxed if you want it to be. Unless you have a lead foot you should see 24- 25 mpg more on longer runs at speed. The Getrag six speed box is strong. Early SMG boxes had problems so be careful with pre 2003's. Make sure the first oil change service is verified.

I bough mine as I wanted something quick but quiet, and comfortable. You only really hear the exhaust when booting it, then it sounds sweet. The M3 comes with all the top end BMW toys. It is responsive with excellent feed back through the wheel. It is fun to drive and will see off most other cars on the road including MKIV TT's. Putting the straight six above 5000 rpm through to the end of the 8000 rpm rev limit it is all animal. On the Autobahns it will happily cruise at 100+ all day long and be quiet enough to take phone call or have a conversation.

Reasons why I would not buy Subaru, pig ugly with 4 cylinders.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)