The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-Spec brakes are............

Justin

So SH*TE!.

I hate those sliding calipers. Or, more specifically, the pins that rust solid into the housing.

This is the second time now that I have had to rip off he calipers due to nasty noises from the wheels. Last time it was the rears now I'm fighting with the fronts.

As before this has happened again:

1. Pin rusted in so spent 4 hours freeing it.

2. Pads are worn to the bone on the piston side and brand new looking on the sliding side. (coz it don't function properly!)

3. Putting them back together is hilarious....not. Who's clever idea was those pathetic springy wire pad holding things that also don't work!

God it p*sses me off :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry to moan so much but I think this brake design for such an awesome motor really sucks!

Justin

how many miles you got on your jap brakes?

mines on 65k and i have not long changed pads. to me they seem ok. not brilliant. i noticed when i went to donnington track how bad they were.

have had some uk spec fronts for over a year and never got round to fitting.

you can get some decent pads for jap stoppers that supposed to improve things.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

how many miles you got on your jap brakes?

mines on 65k and i have not long changed pads. to me they seem ok. not brilliant. i noticed when i went to donnington track how bad they were.

have had some uk spec fronts for over a year and never got round to fitting.

you can get some decent pads for jap stoppers that supposed to improve things.

90,000 on the clock.

I have yet to find out how good the pads are as I don't think in the two years I've owned the car that I have have had a fully J-Spec functional braking system.

Will be going Porterfield or CW pads next replacement.

Cheers

J.

Could always try getting some newer ie fully working!, ones from maybe one of the guys in the Uk brakes group buy?

Uk's are good but there is always the potential wheels and their clearance issues which can cause problems............

IMO there is a definite quality / solid pedal feel with the UK's that even the uprated j-specs don't have, but I'd put my CW - J-spec current combo up there with the old stock UK brakes i had for one off stopping power, can't really comment on potential fade as i don't think i've really experienced it to any noticeable degree with either of these two set ups.

Admittedly J-spec's aren't the best but as you've said they've not been fully operational all the time you've had it!

Originally posted by Scooter

Could always try getting some newer ie fully working!, ones from maybe one of the guys in the Uk brakes group buy?

Good thinking!

If anyone is interestd, mine will be up for sale soon. They have covered just 32k miles and have just had new porterfield pads fitted.

Open to offers :)

• 3 weeks later...

aye.. I suppose some of you nutters are putting a bit of pressure on the brakes. My supra will be a daily driver so I suppose in this respect they are just as good (stopping power) but in terms of fading or warping or whatever they might not be but that's more nutter/track/race stuff.

Well I'm going to look at a storm blue UK spec TT with FSH and less than 60K on the clock on monday - against all advice so far. £9,750. I'll be arriving with bankers draft in hand and hopefully coming back a /very/ happy boy.

p.s. did I read somewhere that someone wants a tenner when I hit 10 posts on here? Shouldn't be long at this pace!

ugh. I've been thinking about this. I have spoken to the guy at length and am not such a bad judge of character.

However, I have decided that if I get frightened, i'll tear up the draft. There'd not be much point in shooting me then, would there?

Logically, no

but in reality, the sort of person who would rob you with a gun for a mere ten grand might do anything.

I'm not saying it's likely but's happened before. Can you afford to lose 10K? Just take some sensible precautions. Don't let your eagerness to own a Supra get the better of your common sense.

[/lecture]

Originally posted by Jake

NOOOOOOO. You're selling the Supe already? :eek: Why FFS? Don't do it Col mate

Nah, You got the wrong end of the stick mate. I am not selling my P&J, just the Jap spec brakes after i have fitted my brand new UK ones. :)

You can't get rid of me that easily. In fact, I have just spent even more fecking money on my P&J and have "BIG" plans that should come to fruition in June.

But dont ask, 'cos if I told you, I would have to disembowel you and you are far to nice a person to do that to. :D