The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fibreglass

Thorin

itches like a b*stard!

Apparently not all the exhaust wadding had been shot out of the back of my car as today the car suddenly lost power and I could hear a loud hissing noise from the exhaust when I accelerated. Got out to look and sure enough a big wad of fibreglass material was bunged up in the end. Thought it would be a good idea to just pull the stuff out by hand (the advantages of having an exhaust you can get your whole arm up!)... It wasn't! lol Very itchy on bare arms and have tiny little scratches on my hand now. Are all HKS exhausts this shite?

Time to start saving for the Veilside Ti I think, once I've paid off the overdraft, credit cards,....

I would have thought there would be enough air, passing through to blow it all out?

P.S.

never go near fiber glass in the raw state.

It's used on planes alot for sound proofing and fire proof cladding. when bloke work with it they wear disposible "sperm" suites, booties, and hats, then tape up every open bit so no fibers can get in the skin. The only way to get rid is to have a dam good shower, then all your doing is breaking the bits off.

Originally posted by Timwildman

I would have thought there would be enough air, passing through to blow it all out?

Nope, but as soon as it did it I pulled over anyway. Possibly if I'd just put my foot down it would have shot out, and saved me from having an itchy arm.

Yeh I can relate to that. I work with GRP a lot at work. After each race on the powerboats we get a lot of comestic and structural damage through the stress on the hulls. I usually get the honour of having to grind out the damaged area and re-laminate. I've currently got the job of chopping of the lower 2 spray rails on every boat in the race fleet (to try and stop them barrel rolling). Its a fcuking shit fight! Very messy. I wear a complete suit with googles and gloves. It's best to tape the gloves to the suit, to keep the dust out. Avoid working with it at all costs!!