The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying Advice Please

Guest TonyJapan

Guest TonyJapan

Hi

I have recently returned from living in Japan and am after a Supra. Frankly I have always wanted one and now I am determined to get one ! What I am after is a bit of buyers advice as in what to look for to make sure your're not buying a pile. There could already be faq's about this on the net but I can't find one so any help is greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs help with any Japanese stuff, I can sort that out,

Thanks

Tony

Guest TonyJapan

no problem, any other particulars ? Big t*ts aren't a Jap trate. If you are willing to trade British nationality for a bint then I could sort that out - it'll be a nightmare though.

But what about the car ?

Guest TonyJapan

Its not alwayas a nightmare of course but unfortunately I have had many a drunken night with a western bloke whos emigrated to Japan for a woman basically saying 'she wasn't like this at home'.

Having said that some couples over there are amongst the happiest I know.

What about the bleedin motor ?

Dude - thanks for the offer how do we sort that out ?

Guest TonyJapan

Thanks very much. There are a couple of motors on autotrader - close by and seem reasonable, is there anything you could suggest to watch out for ? Will an AA check pick up all that is needed ?

A non turbo for 7 odd grand L plate 65k miles - it sounds good to me what about you ?

Of course to be honest I want a turbo, no a twin turbo. Is there that much difference ?

Tony, i take it you know about the facelift on post 96/97 cars?

There are some NA's of this age/type for 8-9K? which may be better value. If you end up looking for an NA you can afford to be choosy there are alot of them out there compared to TT's.

Also i don't know what you've been driving or been driving in the past, but the first one i brought just instantly impressed me by the quality of the drive and its engine bay condition, but in fact looking back was the worst of the three i've had (still no 'pile'!), so make sure you see a few before deciding.

I'd be looking for evidence of auction grade when imported and then uk history. A one uk owner car thats been looked after in this respect would be ideal IMO.

NA engines are basically the same units as used in the GS300 lexus and they are good for high mileages, but cannot really be tuned for more power.

TT's are also very reliable, can be tuned to high 300's bhp cheaply, but do have the potential to cost you a few grand if you get unlucky. You will be paying 4-5k more in the first place, but running costs are not really that different between stock NA's TT's, insurance petrol etc pretty similar (obviously a modded TT starts to become slightly more and more expensive)

So test drive or at least blag a ride in a NA and TT, so you can see/feel the difference, and also try and drive both auto and manual, then go from there............