The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What sub + amp do ye use?

ClaireRZ-S

Hi folks,

Just wondering what kinda of sub and amp do ye use as i'm looking into getting one just for a nice bit of thump.

I was thinking the Fli sub + amp all in one package as there is a nice sound off of it and it doesn't take up too much space.

Big issue here as ye know is the size of the boot i want it not too take up much space, Thanks :)

Edited by ClaireRZ-S (see edit history)

JL Audio 10w3d2 Sub and a JL Audio e1200 Amplifier in a custom enclosure that doesn't take up much space.

Amp is mounted in the side of the car where the standard UK autochanger used to be.

Focal speakers replacing the standard stuff to make sure things sound OK.

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/speakers/sub-01.jpg

Edited by michael (see edit history)

I ripped out my sub and amp and went for a decent set of speakers instead, Matt Harwood fitted Focals and they have superb sound quality and performance for the money and you get to keep what little boot there is, also keeps the weight down

That's a good idea. As I've got an aerotop, space is at a premium for a boot build, and if I could do away with the sub altogether, then I'd consider that.

Is it similar in price to do that, or as you're using more speakers/amps etc., more expensive?

That's a good idea. As I've got an aerotop, space is at a premium for a boot build, and if I could do away with the sub altogether, then I'd consider that.

Is it similar in price to do that, or as you're using more speakers/amps etc., more expensive?

I have to say I feel the overall quality is better than a sub and amp set up BUT

I do listen to talksport more than P diddly

Yeah space is very limited ive 4 6x9,s and an amp under each front seat 6x9,s will fit in your front doors with the other 2 in the rear sounds good and still doesnt use up space in your boot plus keeps the fuel a bit not havin the weight of subs being karted around.

I can totally vouch for those, they sound fabulous, with so much bass and range for small speakers.

I have a Pioneer amp and a JBL 10" sub in a stealth fit boot install. It sounds fine, but as its not been contained in a proper box it vibrates in the boot and can sometimes 'boom', which isn't particularly great.

I bought the car with that though, so I'll sort it eventually, and its handy that all the cables are there already, so just some new components are required. :)

make me one make me one now thats what im looking for :search:

I could make you one, its a really simple box, but first you need to find some Subs, I was lucky in getting hold of those ones, a friend purchased them from someone on his Mazda 323f club that was based in germany, and I can't seem to find them forsale here, that said, there must be some other 6" subs on the market that will work just as well.

Like I say, I have no problem making you a box, my only concern would be getting it to you.

I could make you one, its a really simple box, but first you need to find some Subs, I was lucky in getting hold of those ones, a friend purchased them from someone on his Mazda 323f club that was based in germany, and I can't seem to find them forsale here, that said, there must be some other 6" subs on the market that will work just as well.

Like I say, I have no problem making you a box, my only concern would be getting it to you.

what are the measurements of the box would it be easier to see if i could find something similiar??

I have a custom box from my silver car which sits in the LHS corner of the boot. It needs a decent 10" sub that works well in a 0.8 tp 1.0cu/ft box. Its a fiberglass MDF mix which a mate and I put a lot of time into. Sub not included lol. It bolts down through the bodywork so as low freqs travel into the chassis for better effect :) and safety of course.

I dont need it anymore so if you want it, either collect it or pay the postage and its yours. Problem solved :)

PDC_0990.JPG

Edited by Chiefgroover (see edit history)

Also I have a fantastic 5ch Soundstream Rubicon 550.5 amp, lots of RMS power and compact etc. As new in the box. This is one of the last proper fully featured amps made by soundstream before they went cheapie mass market. You can run the sub and four co-ax or sub and just fronts active. Offers........

p.s. some other stuff in my garage too what else do you need?

PDC_1058.JPG

PDC_1059.JPG

PDC_1060.JPG

PDC_1061.JPG

PDC_1062.JPG

Edited by Chiefgroover (see edit history)

The box you can have, otherwise its for the skip as i need the garage space and the big clearout is soon.

This amp is in a different league, cost about £500 new etc, but if your just running a sub i think i have a Phoenix Gold amp which would be perfect, I'll check when i get home. £40would do it. (was about £240 new)

fli combo @ £110 ish is pure crap. dont waste your money.

The box you can have, otherwise its for the skip as i need the garage space and the big clearout is soon.

This amp is in a different league, cost about £500 new etc, but if your just running a sub i think i have a Phoenix Gold amp which would be perfect, I'll check when i get home. £40would do it. (was about £240 new)

fli combo @ £110 ish is pure crap. dont waste your money.

Cool cool do you know what make of sub would fit in that box perfect. yeah just the sub i just want a bit of a thump nothing too mad but dont want it to take the space up in the boot :)