The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ouch

Tom

Here you go fo the people that can't be arsed to sign up. ;)

Well as many of you have followed my build up thread here on this http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449910 and as the title states on that one it took me a about a year to finish up due to me only having time to work on it on weekends and waiting on parts and money to buy parts.

Well it only took 20 minutes and less than 10 miles to blow up.

Heres the story

about 3 weeks ago i finally finished the car I was waiting for some small odds and ends but they finally showed up, so it was saturday when i finished her.

I has SUprob. HWYKNG and 36 chambers over for the start up so they could help me, so car started right up no leaks no issues that we could see or hear at all car sounded healthy idled really nice. so after checking and triple checking everything we took the car off the stands and got it all ready for her maiden drive once on the ground we checked everything again and off we went.

Car felt super and sounded even better HWYKng was following me on his whiple cobra and my car was so loud we couldnt even hear his car.

so I drove the car for 1/2 mile and we stopped at the Walmart parking lot to check for leaks again, everything looked good so we decided to drive to the chevron up the road to fill up since i was a little low on gas 36 chambers was riding shotgun and we were cruising doing around 45 mph on 4th gear just enjoying the sound of the car and then about 3 miles in to the drive and about 20 minutes since we left home it happened.

car stalls and backfires so we coasted out of the main road in to a side street, we pll over and i thought i had ran out of gas and my gauge wasnt reading so Andy goes and gets some gas and we put it in car didnt start so we took the front bumper off and pull the car back home.

we get home and we pull the plugs and thats we we noticed we have a major failure somewhere.

heres the pics of the destruction

heres a short list of all the damaged stuff

Fully built head destroyed

Built motor destroyed

HKS 280 exhaust destroyed

Exhaust wheel on turbo destroyed

Ported oil pump destroyed

HKS 2mm HG

and all of the the other misc items related to putting a motor together

So it took me a year to build and 20 minutes for it to be destroyed due to a faulty head build or vale form what i can see

yep it looks like a faulty valve? but i'll let the pro engine builders on here give their opinion on that :), as usual though when things like this happen all fingers were pointed at the engine builder which is a bit harsh, some good points made by one of the guys on there though defending that side which makes a nice change.