The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So I was chatting to this guy in the pub about handling...

supra_aero

Last night I got chatting somewhat randomly to this guy seated opposite me.

Typically me, we managed to get talking about cars and he like me is a bit of a pistonhead.

He drove a IS200? but anyway was telling me how big an improvement anti roll bars make. He said he wasn't fussed about acceleration but loved taking corners at speed.

He was absolutely adamanet that anti roll bars make the biggest difference to handling. I had thought anti roll bars would make the same difference as a strut brace but he assured me not.

Anyone got anything to add? Are anti roll bars the holy grail?

He said do the anti roll bars and geo done (which I still need to do after having the car lowered) and you'd have a superior motor.

Is this true?

That would be like saying, if a single is so fast or coilovers are so good why are they not fitted as standard.

I see what you are saying, but from a brief look on the net anti roll bars are only £100 or so. I just want to know if the performance increase is that good. £100 is world cheaper than a set of expensive tyres.

heavy? expensive? i think you need some body role otherwise if its all to 'TIEYGHT' you could end up rolling the car if you hit an apex to hard.

Hmmm... suppose.

lol@'Teiyght'

I might give them a go. For £100, I think thats a bargain for a supposedly v.high performance increase.

i think they would be more necessary for a serious track racing car. normal day to day driving you wouldnt want to stiffen up the ride any more after lowering the car.

Hmmm.. possibly.

I do like the sound of having a car which stays flat round corners.

My old rx7 used to be very stiff and everytime I came around to see my bro he was always impresed with the profile of it as it I turned into his street as it always stayed near flat with no body roll. :D.

Hmmm.. possibly.

I do like the sound of having a car which stays flat round corners.

My old rx7 used to be very stiff and everytime I came around to see my bro he was always impresed with the profile of it as it I turned into his street as it always stayed near flat with no body roll. :D.

if you have too much of a stiff setup dont your wheels take a pounding and are more likely to get buckled? in london, if you setup a car to go flat round corners you will develop back pains! the humps and roads here are absolutely ridiculous!

Yes uprated ARBs will make quite a difference, but at the expense of ride stiffness,especially if you already have uprated dampers/springs already, best for the track.

Hmmmm sounds like my next purchase :D

I only use my supra for performance driving on the road (note that doesn't mean speeding :p).

A trip to mr whifbitz me thinks :D

Stratford. Don't see many humps to be honest. Though that said there are on my road.

But the bulk of the family are north London conveniently near Mr Whiffin's garage ;)

So... how's the Olympic Stadium coming along? ;)

I watched a feature on the news yesterday about that.

So... how's the Olympic Stadium coming along? ;)

I watched a feature on the news yesterday about that.

Just a building site - brownfield mess to be honest. They are v.v. picky if you go near the venue. As in "get out and go away" picky.

I used to go for runs where the park is and basically I can't go there anymore. :(

After chatting with Dave at Prolex, I decided that the ARBs were the first thing to upgrade on the Aristo (along with the crummy brakes, of course!).

When we took the factory ones off, the comparison was amazing - the TRD ones were at least 3 times the weight (and hopefully 3 times as stiff!), and the ride was noticably firmer.

Mind you, like the IS200, the Aristo is a big family car, really, and I would imagine that the factory Supra ARBs are pretty stiff anyway, so the upgrade would have less effect than the upgrade for our Lexus family-barges!

After chatting with Dave at Prolex, I decided that the ARBs were the first thing to upgrade on the Aristo (along with the crummy brakes, of course!).

When we took the factory ones off, the comparison was amazing - the TRD ones were at least 3 times the weight (and hopefully 3 times as stiff!), and the ride was noticably firmer.

Mind you, like the IS200, the Aristo is a big family car, really, and I would imagine that the factory Supra ARBs are pretty stiff anyway, so the upgrade would have less effect than the upgrade for our Lexus family-barges!

Hmmm that's a good point.