The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I nearly died! please be careful

Adzys straight6

Two days ago i was driving down a road id driven down 100's of time before, a day much like any other...I took the car out of overdrive and felt the back end twitch..moments later it went again but this time I felt it go...the whole car went sidewards..what happened next was a bit of a blur. The witnesses behind said i was was just going along when the back of my car spun out, I hit the curb flipping my car 6ft into the air, i then hit a tree taking out the front of my car and my wing, spinning the car 4-5 times bouncing of an enbankment i ended up in a ditch. the car understandably is a right off...and from what ppl saw and the state of the car I was extremely lucky to have walked away with minor injuries....I now value my life soo much more and see things in a whole new perspective now. The supra was my pride and joy and however its made me realise there is no place for it on the ice roads this time of year. I concider myself a good driver but nothing and no amount of experience could have prevented that. drive safely guys.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost spun mine trying to get to the Milbar meet in Yorkshire, the fact I was going 20mph in 4th gear (I.E. 1,300 PRM) and the back end was still trying to espace gives you an idea of how icy it was.

Never understood people who retired their Supra's for the winter but I've done the same.

Be careful guys, not the weather for it!

Get some Autoglym wax, sure it'll buff out..........no but in all seriousness glad to hear your ok!

Glad you're okay mate!

What is it about the Supra that makes you think it any less safe than any other car in this situation, after your experience?

Powerful RWD? It's not Supra specific but more the type of car. I imagine a Lambo Diablo wouldn't be much fun either if you get my drift :D

Many people are experiencing these situations this time of year some not as bad and it isnt just us supra owners ive seen 5 cars in ditches off corners and 3 friends who have lost control of their cars in the past week.

If only there was someone clever enough to invent heated roads in the winter ;)

As the car spun I looked at the speedo and was reading between 35-40mph...mad thing is the road i was travelling on is a 60 limit! no pics as the insurance company are dealing with it, they havent said much tho. just hope they pay up.

i understand its not just supras that are dangerous in this weather but ice and rain combined with a 300-400bhp RWD car is a game of russian roulette.

Lee-insurance premium will fly up after this so wont be getting a celica unfortunately....my trustworthy snow boots the way things are going.

Ice and slippery roads don't care what the limit is.

Yep - that sounds like a blindingly obvious thing to say, but it's true...

Just because you're on a dual carriageway doesn't mean you should be doing 60mph+

I don't hesitate to 'crawl' along if I think I can't stop in time... and keep plenty of lights on! :)