The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good ECU mapper/auto-electrician

Syed Shah

Hi everyone

After a bad experience with Owen Developments I have a reasonable map on a Motec M800/880 in the Soarer. However, it has some electrical issues they created and have been unable to solve - so I am after someone who actually is confident with a Motec (inc poss CDI installation) AND with auto electrics in general.

Distance from Milton Keynes is not an issue. After recommendations please!

Syed

Ryan of course, Fraser MacKellar, ex Motec UK guru, Dave whatsisname, the Antipodean that works for Motec, and whose number I have somewhere, but you can find yourself if you go to http://www.racecarsdirect.com and search on "knockbox". Eric Pasteur at Swindon Racing Engines has huge experience, but I don't believe they will do anything unless it's on their engine dyno, and they are very expensive, but about the best, IMO. Motec's site list all their affiliated dealers, worldwide. I only mention those i know personally or whose reputation speaks for itself.

What did you find up with it, it sure ran like a dog when it came here from Owens?

Ryan of course, Fraser MacKellar, ex Motec UK guru, Dave whatsisname, the Antipodean that works for Motec, and whose number I have somewhere, but you can find yourself if you go to http://www.racecarsdirect.com and search on "knockbox". Eric Pasteur at Swindon Racing Engines has huge experience, but I don't believe they will do anything unless it's on their engine dyno, and they are very expensive, but about the best, IMO. Motec's site list all their affiliated dealers, worldwide. I only mention those i know personally or whose reputation speaks for itself.

What did you find up with it, it sure ran like a dog when it came here from Owens?

Any of those guys good with Auto-electrics or just Motecs? Installing a ECU with a pinout diagram is trivial, it is sorting the ABS electrical issues among others that needs a bit more on the electrics side.

Owen spent all of 10 mins mapping it the first time, so yeah it ran like a dog. And it came back with the stereo amp disconnected, a fault on a circuit causing a high residual current drain, ABS not working/error lights etc.

Went back, they kept it for three months, 'fixed' the battery drain by disconnecting a circuit (this circuit happened to also do the brake lights, so once it was trailered back to me 3 months later I needed to put back the fuse, not exactly the driveable state Mark said it was in...)

They sorted a map partially, but this missfires a little (I suspect poor map = fouled plugs, thats all). Really did not fix anything else, so all faults still remain. Although it does not have two very sexy door dings in the 4k paint job.......

Mark talks the talk, but I am sad to say they let me down big time. Most garages in UK tend not to be pro-active when your on the other side of the world most the time.

Fraser is more than able to sort wiring issues, but I suspect he has so much work doing mapping here and abroad he'll not want to get involved in anything that's a PITA. If Ryan is willing to do repair work I would suggest he's a worthy port of call. Are you going to give the rose jointed arms a go?

I will speak to Ryan and see how it goes from there. I was very close to buying those arms, but was too busy with work to purchase at the time. TBH with the exchange rate now what it is, I will be holding off, as 2-3k has become closer to 5k! Once we recover again to 200ish yen/£ I will get them. No rush as I am not even available to use the car anyway. :)

Cheers for yourbit btw Chris, it may not be good on B-roads at the 'mo but it sure as hel grips on smooth roads! Be nice when you work on it is done! All in the future!

Thanks for all the comments guys :thumbs:

Although i think it might be better to take the car to Dave@Motec. Reason being is that i dont have any space at present where i can work on the car and with what you have described it sounds like it could take a day or two to fix.

But if you dont have any luck with Dave you could take the car to a garage that i map for near you and then it could be stored safely and i could work on it that way.

Dave Rowe - 07900900887

Myself - 07812786303