The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going Solaris (ECU)

SteveR

I ummmed and arrred for a while about this, but on Monday I dropped my Supra off with Ryan in a secret location to have an ECU transplant. In a matter of minutes he'd removed the MoTeC M600 (for sale advert coming soon), the RLTC (for sale advert coming soon) and the boost controller (you've guessed it ;)) as the new ECU will handle all those jobs for me.

By the end of Monday Ryan reported he'd put the hacked-up wiring back to stock (mating that to a wiring harness makes the job very neat & tidy) and by the end of Tuesday the ECU was fitted and the car would fire up and run! :clap:

There is a little R&D work to do on getting some of the VVTi-specifics sorted, so it'll be a week or so before any more progress is made but Ryan's confident he'll be mapping it next week and so far all the signs are that I'll have it back before Christmas. :ecstatic:

Keep your fingers crossed for me that the progress and results contuine to be good! :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah, Ryan also said the VVTi bit wasn't moving, as it's obviously not been used for several years, but after they gave it a quick tap it moved freely again. :D

Hopefully I'll have a bit more torque lower down the revs (it is/was a bit laggy out of the pits ;)), but potentially a bit more power up top, too.

Thats not fair, even more power,:D, fingers crossed for you mate but i`m sure it`ll be fine.

I need more power to have a chance of keeping up with you and maybe shaking James and Andy off. ;)

oh mate cant wait to see this on saturday bro!! il need to talk to you bout that RLTC my friend see if we can work out a deal heheh! nice one!

Dude I won't have it this weekend, like I say there are a few bits to be done before I can have it back. TD Pug power will be bringing us to the meal. :(

Advertise your Motec on Racecarsdirect.com, there will be lots of interest!

Ta for the tip :)

For some reason this conjours up imagines of the American CIA agent in Goldeneye who gets the car running again by giving it a "quick tap" with a sledgehammer :D

Gaz.

I wondered the same, but didn't ask for the details incase it were true :D

Just to say also first that it is not only myself working on this Solaris Install for the VVTI supra's. I luckily have the chief technician at Solaris working with myself and a good job too as this guy has to be the most inteligent guy i have ever met.

As Steve has said the S6 is now running the Engine and the VVTI in closed loop perfectly.

We spent most of monday night playing with the DBW motor setup to understand fully how the ETCS-i DBW fully works. But we hit a problem when one of the pedal position sensors on Steve's car was faulty.

All the sensors etc are also in place for the Traction control and Knock control to be activated after its fully mapped.

Will update more when im back working on the car sometime next week.

here some pics i took of us testing the DBW unit

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Lol

It would have been nice to do a dyno run on the same rolling road before the change.

Dont worry it has been on SRR in its Old setup and it will be going on exactly the same dyno and dyno settings but just the location where it is place is further up north so the Baro and airtemp correction will be different :D

Seeing as the VVTI was doing nothing before as we unplugged it to test i can certainly see there being a massive difference in the car with the solaris setup. Probably just jinxed it now though :)

Rich you mean?;)

It would run it better.

lol. I mean a cold start when it's -15C or stuck in heavy traffic in 35-40C without throwing a strop, could it handle different grade fuels and how well would it handle the autobox changes up and down - the boring but important stuff.

Dont worry it has been on SRR in its Old setup and it will be going on exactly the same dyno and dyno settings but just the location where it is place is further up north so the Baro and airtemp correction will be different :D

Seeing as the VVTI was doing nothing before as we unplugged it to test i can certainly see there being a massive difference in the car with the solaris setup. Probably just jinxed it now though :)

Nice one mate, will look forward to the results. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a phone call from Ryan to say that he's mapped the car today. There are a few outstanding jobs to complete in the next week or so so I can't have it back just yet, but the headlines from the mapping session sound encouraging. Later tonight/tomorrow he's going to post up the dyno results; power is up (despite being mapped without water injection this time), torque is up, and full boost is now reached lower down the rev range.

I won't give any more away than that; it's Ryans hard work that has gone into it so I'll let him reveal all when he's back home and got a spare 15 mins to post up, but from what I've been told so far, I'm prety chuffed! :)

For reference & comparison when the new graph appears, here is the ***OLD*** dyno graph:

MoTeC ECU Dyno.JPG

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

An Update!!

To start with, the installation of the S6 wasn't as straight forward as first thought. This was due to the previous Ecu installation being rather bodged to say the least and after seeing the state of the wiring i knew something had to be done. Instead of just hard wiring the Solaris into the existing wires which had been used i wanted to put it back to stock to ensure that the wiring pinouts i have for the P&P units is 100% and to make the install look alot nicer.

8 hours of soldering and heatshrinking later....

I didn't get a picture of it before as was in a rush to get the old stuff off for steve before he left but steve will see the improvement :)

The next day i made up the wiring adaptor loom. With the Cal Switch and flying looms

Pat and I then fitted the ecu into the car, turned the WI off and checked the engine bay over.

Found a few problems with vacuum plumbing mainly to do with the pulsation damper not being used for the Map sensor and the FPR. We also checked for boost leaks using my niffty tool :D

We then started the mapping and 5 hours later :cool:

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)