The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heater matrix

fruity_south

have a little problem, i say little it probably very bad. this morning when heading off to work, went to clear the windows and they were just steaming up more. im getting heat and cold air from the vents but its doing nothing. then on the way home the heating was smelling alot like anti freeze andmy partner noticed the cabin was slowly filling up with a fog. turned the heat to maximum cold and it was fine. pulled into a petrol station. let her cool and checked water level. was perfectly fine. not low at all. so drove the rest of the way home with cool air in cabin. when home partner noticed her footwell, under the mat was soaking wet. smelt alot like anti freeze. thing which is confusing me is my heater matrix once packed up in an old fiesta rs i had. this was wet in footwells, both though not just passengers and when you turned the heating on it belted out water at you. so is it a heater matrix problem and if so any write up on changing it ect?

run down of problems again.

• windows staying steamed
  • smell of anti freeze when heating is on hot
  • fog like steam coming from footwell
  • soaking passenger footwell

any help would be much appriciated

I used two Yorkshire 22mm YP20 return bends to cap mine off, worked a treat (a little on the expensive side though, although I can offer a fair discount off that at work)

http://www.yorkshirefittings.co.uk/prod/taps_mixers.aspx?ID=121235&FolderID=237&button=General%20Information

Crikey. Those little bends are indeed quite pricey! How do you manage to demist the windscreen with no heater?

got one from homebase this morning though it is a 15mm not 22mm. does the job fine, as for demisting am uing a rag every couple of minutes. pain in the rear end it really is. why do they have to make the heating system water based, why cant there be an electrical way. just causes more problems having water pipes ect running into the cabin

got one from homebase this morning though it is a 15mm not 22mm. does the job fine, as for demisting am uing a rag every couple of minutes. pain in the rear end it really is. why do they have to make the heating system water based, why cant there be an electrical way. just causes more problems having water pipes ect running into the cabin

Is that actually legal?

it keeps re steaming due to the coolant. it leaves a film on the screen.

get some water and vinegar on there and get it cleaned off. You can demist the screen using the aircon... but it will be bloody cold! :p

mind you.. im glad i haven't got the supra with no heating in this weather! lol

will give that a try. i did use the cold fans for a while but it was to cold. of all the times for it to go it has to be wjen winter sets in and just b4 christmas. and it was jsut the other day i was having an arguement with a ford owner saying how reliable the supra has been. law of the sod that is.

• 2 weeks later...

ive just had this problem with mine but heater is still hot and air con still work but blows smoke out at me and leave a film on the screen is this the same problem:search:

i did have a radiator pipe blow and did stop the hot air a month ago but fixed pipe and was all good till yesterday.

can anybody help

ive just had this problem with mine but heater is still hot and air con still work but blows smoke out at me and leave a film on the screen is this the same problem:search:

i did have a radiator pipe blow and did stop the hot air a month ago but fixed pipe and was all good till yesterday.

can anybody help

It could well be :(

Check the passenger footwell (pull back the carpet) to see if there's any sign of water coming out of the heater matrix

owh yes this is the same proplem

was just on my way to work and hit alittle traffic and the hole car filled up with smoke not heaters on so pulled over let it coll abit then tryed to drive again all vents shut but then over heated and foot well was soaking .

Merry Christmas from my supra it could of got me a card...lol.

could a faulty radiator cap cause these problems i have had with the burst rad pipe and now this?