The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How does the supra handle?

Guest Sanchi

i personally think the supra handles lovely. for a RWD car on a dry road i think it sticks and if you can control it when it slips its a right laugh. however would say in the rain its a totally different car. it slides everywhere (i have a tt not sure about the n/a) Icey weather its best to take the wifes car........

the term 'handling' is very widespread

The Supra can be set up to be good on a track or good on a road.... but compromised for both if you choose an inbewteen setting.

This is the case with just about every car.

The Supra is a GT car so it will never match an autocross mini cooper on turning ability for example......but it will be far better on stability on fast corners and under braking and power application.

But as mentioned it depends on how you compromise the settings... too much comfort for the road will see less stability under performance driving. And too much comfort on the track will see the weight of the car having adverse effects.

the term 'handling' is very widespread

The Supra can be set up to be good on a track or good on a road.... but compromised for both if you choose an inbewteen setting.

This is the case with just about every car.

The Supra is a GT car so it will never match an autocross mini cooper on turning ability for example......but it will be far better on stability on fast corners and under braking and power application.

But as mentioned it depends on how you compromise the settings... too much comfort for the road will see less stability under performance driving. And too much comfort on the track will see the weight of the car having adverse effects.

I with Arron on this, but may I add, that poor geometry is the single biggest drawback in supra handling, no amount of money spent on suspension can compensate for unsuitable settings or uneven ones.

The supra comes with coilovers from the factory :)

First I've heard of it, unless you're confusing your terminology;)

as for handling, i think its very good for a GT car, as said setup and choice of suspension and wheels/tyres will have a massive impact, get it right and its good in both dry and wet, get it wrong and you will wish you had bought something else.

What shocks do people recommend for good performance below at entry level price range. Not willing to spend a grand on shocks/coilovers.

I am on eibach springs and some after market shocks (can't remember the name). Some days the car feels great, others I am not so confident with it.

I'd keep the Eibach springs and fit some Bilstein dampers, then get the geometry checked/adjusted.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1017/cimg00037nc.jpg

What shocks do people recommend for good performance below at entry level price range. Not willing to spend a grand on shocks/coilovers.

I am on eibach springs and some after market shocks (can't remember the name). Some days the car feels great, others I am not so confident with it.

What dampers do you have? and how old are they?

The eibach springs need serious geometry changes to make the car stable, so if thats not been done, put it on your list!

What dampers do you have? and how old are they?

The eibach springs need serious geometry changes to make the car stable, so if thats not been done, put it on your list!

2-3 year old dampers - some strange jap make. Nothing like tein or TRD or I'd know about it. They are silver and i believe have red logos I think from memory if that narrows it down ?? :blink:.

I'll get it down to whifbitz to have a look at them and find out.

I didn't do any geometry changes so maybe thats the reason. :innocent: I'll get it sorted next! Thanks. ;)

Eh? Coilover = coil over strut doesn't it? Thats what the supra has from the factory on both the front and rear.

Thats exactly my point, although correct in theory, they are not what is commonly known as "coilovers" the general terminology refers to the adjustable type, IE hight adjustable,

So many cars come with the spring on shock design, and are known by various different names, IE McPherson strut etc, there are very few these days that actually have separate springs and dampers.

Whilst watching overs go around Llandow it did seem as though most supras seemed to have a fair amount of body roll, and looking through some of the picks that were taken seems to confirm this. I have never really felt this in mine but I'm guessing it would be the same. I still maintain that I can chuck it about as much as my old Renault 5 turbo and 205 GTI with just as much confidence.

First I've heard of it, unless you're confusing your terminology;)

as for handling, i think its very good for a GT car, as said setup and choice of suspension and wheels/tyres will have a massive impact, get it right and its good in both dry and wet, get it wrong and you will wish you had bought something else.

WTF are the springs not fitted over the shocks on yours? Or maybe you have leaf springs or even torsion bars. Who is confusing terminology here?. Enough to make me have centre point steering nightmares. ;):D;)