The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MR2 to Supra

Guest eeviac

Hi

I have had my NA MR2 for a while now and am looking to change it for something different.

I considered a Supra a few years ago and test drove an R reg NA auto. Thought it was great and made my MR2 feel like a toy frankly.

Nothing came of it and decided to keep the MR2 for a while longer but now have to change as the '2 has reached 180K.

Been looking at Supras online in recent weeks and pretty much decided i still want one having considered other cars such as VX220T, Z4 and S2000.

Has anyone come from an MR2 to a Supra and what are the differences on a day to day basis

Still undecided as to whether to go for an NA or TT but want a manual in whatever form. The J SPEC TT i drove a while back was fabulously and effortlessly quick but i do 300 to 400 miles a week so that may be a factor against.

Thanks

Edited by eeviac (see edit history)

I came from a N/A Rev4 MR2, you will notice the petrol usage a huge amount, the MR2 ran on air compared to the Supe, I did go for a TT Supra, but there isnt much in it between NA and TT. Petrol has got a little cheaper recently, but if you have any worries about forking out a huge wad for petrol then a Supra isnt for you.

Coming from the 2 I noticed that the Supe felt alot more weighty, because it is, and also that the Supe is alot more planted. I feel I can throw the Supe in to corners alot more readily than I would have dared in the 2. I know which one i would rather have now though.

Edited by Dave17 (see edit history)

The MR2 is okay on fuel but am expecting an increase on whatever car i get next.

do you use yours a daily driver? I spend alot of time on motorways so something smooth and swift is required. The 2 is fine on the motorway at fast speeds, but can be a little tiring after a while for some reason.

Mine is my daily driver, but i only work a few miles down the road. It's a TT Auto so it's as smooth as i'd expect. I'm not sure if the N/A's came with a 6 speed Getrag gearbox, but these are renowned for being quite agricultural and not as smooth as they could be. I think the 5 speed is much more common which is a good box. On the occasions i do travel a long way the Supe wins hands down on comfort over the MR2, alot more quiet and the ride feels alot better than my 2 ever did. I would say that the 2 behaved better on ice/snow than the Supe does.

If you are doing 300-400 miles a week, you're looking 140 quid a week in fuel I think with a TT, don't expect more than 22mpg really, as that first turbo is always ready to kick in.

I find the Supra a bit heavier on the rear tyres as well.

For a longer journey, the Supra is a much better car.

I came from a N/A Rev4 MR2, you will notice the petrol usage a huge amount, the MR2 ran on air compared to the Supe, I did go for a TT Supra, but there isnt much in it between NA and TT. Petrol has got a little cheaper recently, but if you have any worries about forking out a huge wad for petrol then a Supra isnt for you.

Coming from the 2 I noticed that the Supe felt alot more weighty, because it is, and also that the Supe is alot more planted. I feel I can throw the Supe in to corners alot more readily than I would have dared in the 2. I know which one i would rather have now though.

I did go for a TT Supra, but there isnt much in it between NA and TT.

THAT WAS A JOKE RIGHT - IF NOT YOUR TURBOS CAN'T WORK!!

Hi

I have had my NA MR2 for a while now and am looking to change it for something different.

I considered a Supra a few years ago and test drove an R reg NA auto. Thought it was great and made my MR2 feel like a toy frankly.

Nothing came of it and decided to keep the MR2 for a while longer but now have to change as the '2 has reached 180K.

Been looking at Supras online in recent weeks and pretty much decided i still want one having considered other cars such as VX220T, Z4 and S2000.

Has anyone come from an MR2 to a Supra and what are the differences on a day to day basis

Still undecided as to whether to go for an NA or TT but want a manual in whatever form. The J SPEC TT i drove a while back was fabulously and effortlessly quick but i do 300 to 400 miles a week so that may be a factor against.

Thanks

The MR2 IS a toy ;)

My n/a '2 isn't the quickest, but still fun. My mate has a turbo and it's a completely different car all together! Have you concidered a tubby '2? Makes mine feel like it doesn't move :(

I have both and for what your talking about its absolutely no contest.... Supra all day every day. Its one of the most comfortable, effortless cars i have ever driven. I drove it 400 miles in one day, when i bought it, and then went out and partied feeling absolutely fine.

Don't worry about the fuel, its not as bad as some people would have you believe. The day i drove it home i did 370 miles in one tank. Of course it was all motorway with very few grinning bursts, but there were a couple.

The MR2 is a go-kart though, i reckon you will feel a massive difference. I have, my wife has, an MR2 turbo and the turbo is spooling and pulling hard by 2krpm, by the time it hits 3k rpm its like a rocket. The supra takes a bit more to get going, the magic 4krpm is when it comes into its own.

If your going to buy, my advice is get a TT and buy once. Its a great time to go bargain hunting as there are a few cracking examples on here around the 8k mark.

I'm not sure if the N/A's came with a 6 speed Getrag gearbox, but these are renowned for being quite agricultural and not as smooth as they could be.

agricultural?? how do you mean?

not seen that many late model na or tt around at the moment to go and look at within a reasonable distance!

What made you get rid of the Supra?

I sold it as I didn't use it and was taking up to much room on the driveway.... also wanted a car I could park without worrying about it getting scratched and knocked :( Also wanted to do some track days aswell knowing I wouldn't worry to much about the MR2 :) Plus selling it cleared all my debt I collected from being made redundant earlier in the year :)

Still want another Supra but not for a while :D

definately get a supra...it is without a shadow of a doubt the best sports car i have owned so far.

I do 500 miles + a week and the car doesn't batter an eyelid at it...and it's very comfortable which makes driving it just perfect!

My husband has a skyline gtr and merc sl500 and i chose the supra everyday when i'm out travelling!

and of course it's a brill for having a bit of a play with!! lol

i hope we're welcoming you to the club soon

good luck in your decision

have a supra and an mr2 N/A, i would definetly get the supra :) ive heard that the mr's are a bit wild when the turbo kicks in for driving around round abouts etc, the supra is a more gradual build up until the second turbo kicks in. i dont know what the N/A is like but IMO if your getting a supra dont go half measures get the TT.

i use the mr2 for the winter (stupid idea i know) but its a great motor for running about in- much prefer my supra though

Guest gracie69

i came from a 300bhp mr2 turbo, to an n/a auto supe. obviously big difference in power but its such a smoother running car. its great not feeling like your going to die every time it rains. i also love how it feels like a proper car. the mr2 is just a go-kart.

dont get me wrong i loved my mr2 and its a great car. but id never look back now. if your just looking for weekend thrills get yourself a mr2 tubby! cheap as chips now