The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too much power results in...

supraspeed

Just got sent pics through from gearbox place with attached note saying:

"I HAVE ATT 4 PHOTOS FOR YOU TO LOOK AT, THEY SHOW THE STATE OF THE 3RD GEAR ON BOTH THE MAINSHAFT AND LAYGEAR, IT HAS ALSO HAD SLIGHT IMPACT DAMAGE TO ONE OF THE TEETH ON THE INPUT SHAFT (4TH GEAR) AS YOU CAN SEE THERE IS NO BEARING FAILURE, JUST GEAR DAMAGE.

ALL THOSE PARTS WERE BRAND NEW AS PURCHASED FROM TOYOTA, THERE IS ONLY CAUSE OF FAILURE OF THIS TYPE AND THATS TOO MUCH RIGHT BOOT.

PLEASE ADVISE ME WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE US TO DO."

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]gearbox 4.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This was only done over 100 miles with about 2 "floor it" moments- the rest motorway driving.

Last time i use a n/a gearbox on a single...

gearbox 1.jpg

gearbox 2.jpg

gearbox 3.jpg

Was the 5 speed really that weak, I know you have a single NA-T but after such a new rebuild should it really destroy the box so quickly, something seems strange, either you drove it harder or the fitment of the new parts was not right perhaps??

well this is the thing- i'd just got it back with the whole respray and mods etc... so i was taking it really easy (no trac con) and had 2 moments of madness. possibly half mile stretches if that on the one day it was dry that fortnight. really annoyed now but i need to try and get myself outta this mess. the gearbox place has a good rep so i dont think they would screw it up- claim they do 300 boxes a week.......

not to sure what to say to you mate, but if it was you who messed up the gear box then - jesus you done a good job or it.

I think the best way your going to get out of these ad stop spending on gear boxes, is get the TT auto or Manual boxes. - maybe second hand might be the best.

All you can really say is if you asked for the w58 n/a boxes then i don't think you can really say a lot but if you asked for a uprated one or performance box then maybe and they have fitted a standard w58 n/a box then you might be able do some think about it!

Definetly time for a TT auto or manual box mate. Only way you'll fix this and get back to enjoying the car

I would have thought that for the effort and cost involved, it would be better to straight for the V160 or 161, as the auto's seem to be a bit hit and miss at handling the torque a single produces.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=170199

maybe this will be better for you mate. can handle power and to be honest that price isn't bad at all!

cheers for the info but i'm hoping to stay manual- just contacted someone on ere about a 5 speed man conversion using a R154 box and bellhousing. i just need to find a place near hertfordshire whos knows what they are doing before i can make a move. i just hope its not too expensive to do

Hang on, if you're NA-T and the box went, how much power are you running?! Fancy a TT? ;)

never had it dyno'd but when i bought it i was told it was running between 450-500bhp (felt like it). strangely enough it didn't feel the same after the box was repaired....like the ecu had reset itself or something. wouldnt mind a tt but all this rainy weather has put me off rwd for a while lol. looking to sell after all this has been sorted out

if stuck in a cheap w58 or whateva the n/a box is called... if i drive it really sensibly without letting the turbo spin up (starts at 4500/5000 rpm) do you rekon it would last a while and give me time to save for a 6 speed or something. or will this still have an affect on motorway journeys when the revs are higher? might be a cheaper option for the time being as i'm still paying for ins and seems a bit pointless cancelling it and loosing the no claims i'm trying to build up.