The mkiv Supra Owners Club

everything needed to de-cat properly

lackie

ive tried to do a search for this but came up with differing views and nothing concrete about what to do.

im wanting to de-cat at the end of the month with new backbox etc, and wanted to know exactly what is needed to get the job done properly, including price and which ones, in your own opinion are the best.

i was looking at the 5zigen cannonball anyone got one of these.

any help gratefully appreciated and sorry if this topic has been raised before

cheers

If it's a UK car then all you need is the decat pipes, exhaust and new gaskets - if it's a J-Spec you might want to add a restrictor ring to the shopping list to prevent the boost going too high.

I opted for the Chris Wilson decat pipes, HKS gaskets and a Blitz NuR spec and I'm very happy... with that bit of the car anyway :)

The choice of backbox is up to you, I got a SuperDrager2.

For a full decat you'll need...

Two decat pipes, one for each cat.

Fuel Cut Defensor - TRL VFCC is the best

A boost gauge to keep an eye on whats going on.

A restrictor ring if your boost is too high (1.2bar+)

Further down the line, you will need a friendly MOT tester or have to put a cat back in for your MOT.

:thumbs:

Exactly as Outatime said. All of the above for my car.

Front cat out - Chris Wilson Downpipe

Rear cat out - HKS mid pipe from Torque IC

New Exhaust - Blitz Nur Spec

Fuel Cut Defenser - TRL

Restrictor ring - Chris Wilson £12

Boost Gauge - Take your pick

I have a friendly MOT station too:)

Originally posted by dude

Friendly MOT stations will soon be a thing of the past

Mine won't :innocent:

200sx Boy:

1) Yes, no problem. Mine only just failed with no cats and a Superdrager2

2) No

3) I would, as soon as you start messing with boost a gauge is a must. One cat along with a backbox will require fuel cut.

4) Yeah, you will notice a difference, especially with an aftermarket backbox.

Originally posted by lackie

ive tried to do a search for this but came up with differing views and nothing concrete about what to do.

im wanting to de-cat at the end of the month with new backbox etc, and wanted to know exactly what is needed to get the job done properly, including price and which ones, in your own opinion are the best.

i was looking at the 5zigen cannonball anyone got one of these.

any help gratefully appreciated and sorry if this topic has been raised before

cheers

My wife took 4 5Zigen boxes to the tip today, they seem to rot out for fun. I would be wary of their longevity.

You need my 2 cat pipes, and whatever cat back aftermarket system you prefer. With my 2 pipes you probably won't get boost creep, but if it goes over 1.2 bar a restrictor ring can be supplied to your door that will fetch it down to 1.2 bar, for 17 quid all in.

E-mail m direct (not a PM please..) and i can send full info re the cat pipes. i have stock.

Originally posted by outatime

Mine won't :innocent:

200sx Boy:

1) Yes, no problem. Mine only just failed with no cats and a Superdrager2

2) No

3) I would, as soon as you start messing with boost a gauge is a must. One cat along with a backbox will require fuel cut.

4) Yeah, you will notice a difference, especially with an aftermarket backbox.

If yours failed then no matter how friendly the MOT station they wont be able to do a friendly MOT unless they are willing to emission test a different car and if they are caught doing that its Bye Bye MOT license , the new software lists J-spec engine numbers and therfore they have to carry out a cat test , any stations with older equipment can still do a non cat test if they know what they are doing !!!. Pretty soon the MOTsystem will change and it will not be possible to get a friendly MOT as it will basically be done on line with prompts from a wrist mounted PC , this also means that the Ministry (MOT police) can be sitting round the corner and know excactly what has just been tested ie steering , they can then appear and check the item just passed/failed and the tester cannot do anything because he has just passed/failed it on line , so boys and girls keep those cats or buy a stand alone or AFC !!!!:sly:

Dude:flame Dev

how do you tune an AFC to pass an emmision test???

Say for instance the Apexi S-AFCII (Dude you have this model?)

You would need two settings yes? as emmisions testing is done at Idle and at 2500-3000 right?

Scott

PS,

"Hijack mode on"

By the way dude, that guy took £6500 for his supe at the jag dealer! Snatched his hand off. Its now up for sale on a used forecourt in leicester for £9500!!!!!!:baa:

I told him to contact you but he knew best!

"Hijack mode off"

Sorry all:(

Originally posted by veilsideTT

how do you tune an AFC to pass an emmision test???

Say for instance the Apexi S-AFCII (Dude you have this model?)

You would need two settings yes? as emmisions testing is done at Idle and at 2500-3000 right?

Scott

PS,

"Hijack mode on"

By the way dude, that guy took £6500 for his supe at the jag dealer! Snatched his hand off. Its now up for sale on a used forecourt in leicester for £9500!!!!!!:baa:

I told him to contact you but he knew best!

"Hijack mode off"

Sorry all:(

Well this is where you need a sensible tester , if he says there is no way of recording engine speed you can do it at whatever revs you want , i found 2000 to be good , reduce the % on the low throttle setting and try to use as little throttle as poss to keep up the revs , oh and remember to put it back where it was before you thrash it up the road :stupid:

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Ok So what would I need to de-cat my rudely underpowered N/A ??? Poor car needs all the power it can squeeze lol.

De-cat pipes for an NA :)

You would also get more power/noise from a exhaust too if you haven't got one :)

Drop me a email or PM if you want us to sort you out Dangerous :)

Gaz.

gaz could you give me a quote on ecerything i would need for a full decat on my tt manual including postage/delivery

ps i want the one that sounds the loudest

i also have the hks induction kit what would i need to have the proper kit ie cold air box and any other piping other than the sad plastic stuff.