The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a the same as the turbo

Guest speedline

the bottom half is the same the top half is different, so you cant use the tt setup on the ge, but ther are loads of turbo kits for the n/a and the standard internals can take alot of power 500+ in some cases

Bottom half is different as well... It was thought for a long time they were the same. There is slightly less material on the 2jz-ge and then there is the oil squirters, HOWEVER that said the 2jz-ge is a fairly strong bottom end.

the bottom half is the same the top half is different, so you cant use the tt setup on the ge, but ther are loads of turbo kits for the n/a and the standard internals can take alot of power 500+ in some cases

Shame about the gearbox then really :)

Would be better off just sticking a TT lump in your n/a, getting used to the power then tuning that.

Bottom half is different as well... It was thought for a long time they were the same. There is slightly less material on the 2jz-ge and then there is the oil squirters, HOWEVER that said the 2jz-ge is a fairly strong bottom end.

which parts are different on the pre-vvti ge and gte then? is it the pistons as i know they have little to no dish in them as opposed to gte pistons. I thought the bottom end was interchangeable between gte and ge aslong as the ge wasn't a vvti motor with the weedier rods.

which parts are different on the pre-vvti ge and gte then? is it the pistons as i know they have little to no dish in them as opposed to gte pistons. I thought the bottom end was interchangeable between gte and ge aslong as the ge wasn't a vvti motor with the weedier rods.

I couldn't tell you where the major differences are with regards the actually block, however Chris chopped one up and there was a fair amount of difference, there is a thread around somewhere.

Forget turbo'ing the NA, just fit a TT engine, or sell up and buy a TT in the first place.

:iagree:

have a look around the site, theres a few chaps who can do transplants for a very reasonable price, and given the reliability of this approach as opposed to upgrading internals, and all the hassle that comes with doin a single conversion its probably the best bet if you really love your car and have a fair ammount o cash invested in it.. Otherwise, sell it and buy the TT.

Personally speaking though I dont think the N/A is exactly a slow car, and what you need to remind yourself is you have a SUPRA!! who cares if its N/A or TT, its still a cool car either way! :)

A single turbo conversion from an N/A will get you up to 380ish bhp if your lucky, or 350ish bottom line. But it could cost you £5K+ as the kit's aren't exhaustive and you will need additional parts. That includes fitting by a qualified garage by the way.

You may be able to get a TT lump for £2K but then there's all the other items you'd need to think of - possible upgrades include fuel pump, clutch, gear box, brakes, FCD, etc etc etc. If your tight on budget skimping could get you into trouble.

Just buy a TT and have done! Current Supra purchase prices only give you a difference of (from £3Kish) between TT/NA anyhow.

L