The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY refurb of 3 Piece Split Rims

jevansio

I've bought some 3 piece split rims to refurb myself. I've read a couple of threads (and watched the CCW videos) on refurbing and they seem to indicate that once the bolts have been removed the centres should come out.

Is this correct for all rims (mine are TRD). It's just that the centres don't wanna budge, or are they just stuck with years of brake dust & crud holding them there?

To me it looks like both side of the rims are holding the centre in place (ie when you look at the rim from each side it looks like the centre should be removed the other way).

Here are some pics of the wheels before I've started anyway.

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you doing refurb wise Jay ?

I dunno yet Col, I'm going to see my mate this week to ask how I go about doing it. I think it'll involve much elbow grease & polishing. The outer rim will have the curbing removed, then highly polished, then protected.

I *may* send the inners to be sandblasted & powder coated gunmetal or bright silver by a prosessional wheel refurb outfit near my work. If not I'll rub them back & spray myself again gunmetal or bright silver.

Theres no need to seal the mating faces, when you fit the wheels back together and have torqued up all the nuts and bolts you fill the center part where all 3 parts join together with Sikaflex sealer, job done.

We did mine on the wheel balancer and slowly rotated the wheel at the same time as applying the sealer, its best to mask off either side of the join as this will save a bit of mess and looks very profesional.

We also used a plastic cup to remove the excess sealer, rotate wheel slowly pressing the curve of the cup onto the sealer, leaves a nice clean smooth job.

IMG_2979.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK so I started to have a go at refurbing the outer rims. It basically took me about 1 hour & I had cleaned up about 2 inches worth of outer rim, my arms were aching & they were nowhere near a polished finish.

I decided to give a guy called Mike Fenwick in Northallerton a ring & we agreed on me taking all the wheels apart & he would refurb the outer rims for £50 each, not a bad price I thought. That left me free all Xmas to drink :D

I left 1 rim with him initially so I could insepct his work before getting all 4 done, I picked it up today and was well impressed. I'm really pleased with the removal of the curb marks.

He's doing the other 3 now & I can get on with spraying the centres. Going to try black first for the same look as my C4R's,

Anyway here's the polished lip,

attachment.php?attachmentid=85708&stc=1&d=1230565805

attachment.php?attachmentid=85709&stc=1&d=1230565805

attachment.php?attachmentid=85710&stc=1&d=1230565805

attachment.php?attachmentid=85711&stc=1&d=1230565805

attachment.php?attachmentid=85712&stc=1&d=1230565805

attachment.php?attachmentid=85713&stc=1&d=1230565805

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

No Dunk, I'm just leaving them like that. They've got a brushed aliminium finish which I think is quite sporty, the mirror finish is too bling for me when I'll be using these as my track/fast road wheels.

I'm pleased you posted that pic as that is the way I want mine doing, black inners. I was going to mask off the area where the studs go & spray that black too so the studs show up. Yours look stunning there :thumbs:

PS did you not go all black with yours? Was that pic an inbetween shot?

You got someone to do them for you lmao JAY YOU TOTAL PUSSY hehehe.

Your right about your arm aching though. Mine were a total mess when I did them and it took me ages to get them perfect.

Good luck putting them back together though mate cos thats the hard part.

If you need a hand giz a ring bud.

And whats this im reading about you drinking. Whats happened to the training programme.

You got someone to do them for you lmao JAY YOU TOTAL PUSSY hehehe.

Your right about your arm aching though. Mine were a total mess when I did them and it took me ages to get them perfect.

Good luck putting them back together though mate cos thats the hard part.

If you need a hand giz a ring bud.

And whats this im reading about you drinking. Whats happened to the training programme.

Yeah I know, I spent 1 hour on a Sunday morning, realised how long it would take, packed everything up & went down the club :)

Lol, gotta take a couple of days off for Xmas man, I'll start again in ernest on the 2nd Jan :D

Edit, I just photoshopped Dunks pic, what do you guys reckon to a black outer rim?

attachment.php?attachmentid=85725&stc=1&d=1230571016

Dscf0504.jpg