The mkiv Supra Owners Club

and so the journey continues...

supraspeed

Ok as many of you no my gearbox blew after about 100 miles of it being repaired with new (and expensive) genuine toyota parts. before the gearbox blew i was told a new getrag box from some other vehicle had been fitted.....it hadn't so the place lied to me and just fixed the original (n/a box). they said they would repair it for free as i had pretty much done just motorway driving and must have only put my foot down twice within those miles. (for those who dont know its a n/a-single). now they say that they have looked at the box and ALL the gears are ground down to dust and have accused me of ragging the sh*t out of it. I know for a fact i havent but is it possible to completely wreck this kind of box from 2 sprints if that? i knew this box wouldnt last long but does anyone think 450bhp..ish could have done all this damage from hardly any fast driving? this is not looking good on my part but i have been taking it really easy and its just seems a bit strange for all the gears to be fu**ed.

If they havent fitted the correct gearbox surely its irrelevant that this box has died. Tell them to fit the box they said they would, if not seek legal advice.

problem is they said it was an impossible job to fit the getrag one originally. not only that they made me buy a propshaft cos they couldn't find one-took me 2 minutes on ebay to find one and get it sent - which apparantly they never used and still have! they insist they told me about the swap....a total load of boll**. but if they repair it again i'm not the kind of person who will try and flog my car with a unsutable gearbox....like someone sold me. as i'm selling the car i don't know what to do as i can't afford to buy anything else to fix the problem- 6 speeds are too expensive and i dont no anyone who will touch a mk3 box transplant- not like ive got the money to get one anyway...bit stuck i am

The w58 just isn't up to the job. If you don't wanna spend the money on the v160 /161 Getrag and must stay manual then research the R154 swap and fit that.

Cheers,

Brian.

i was told the R154 needed a lot of work to get swapped and i dont think the gearbox place are going to agree to a project...definatly not for free anyway- seems they just "fix" boxes- nothing else.

i was told the R154 needed a lot of work to get swapped and i dont think the gearbox place are going to agree to a project...definatly not for free anyway- seems they just "fix" boxes- nothing else.

I don't think it's a bad job just not many folk have done it over here if any. Do your research...

well i wouldn't stand for that to be honest,

if you have asked for a box to be fitted and the one you want they shouldn't tell you that you can't have it bla bla,

i would seriously look into legal advise and tell them you are, because they should of new just by having a look that a w58 n/a box won't handle 450bhp. and should of asked you want you want to do and give you a couple of options.

Thats why i never trust no one messing with my car, if i can't do it myself then i go to a garage and i stay there with the car and make sure the work i have asked for is being done properly and also watch them do the work so i know there not messing with other stuff that i know is fine! ( after researching different stuff so they can't fob me off with no excuses )

hope you get this sorted mate!