The mkiv Supra Owners Club

underseal

Guest Allanalbert

Guest Allanalbert

thanks, tried several, but nearest so far is newbury and its not all anal bert its just the nearest email address i could get. misses said "It takes an arse to know an arse"

Guest Allanalbert

recieved an email from a chap called Tom saying a place in Southend on Sea may be able to help. thanks to you all for taking the time to advise. Did'nt mean to offend you Kieran, it was just a joke like "all anal bert "

why do you specifically want an import undersealing, mine is an import and has a shed load of factory applied underseal

Both of mine have been the same too, plenty of underseal. There's a couple of areas on the rear that have a pretty thin layer of seal but they're not ones that ever seem to suffer from rot.

"Imported cars are not undersealed" used to be one of the oldest grey import myths around. Are you saying yours actually isnt, or youve been told it won't be?

As already mentioned, imported Supras are undersealed very well. If yours isn't then something is amiss.

how do you guys actually know that your cars were undersealed from factory and not done by the original importer for their customer?? almost every fresh import i've seen hasnt been undersealed.

Fresh import, and that stuff had clearly been on there for years. All supra's I've checked on have been undersealed.

Fresh import, and that stuff had clearly been on there for years. All supra's I've checked on have been undersealed.

Agreed.

Is it that people think it doesnt rain in Japan or something?

it also snows there on occasion so Im told.

http://tokyoahead.com/main/images/articles/gottoomuchsnow_1_original.jpg

http://www.techsupportforum.com/relaxation-room/offline/197312-snow-tateyama-japan.html

how do you guys actually know that your cars were undersealed from factory and not done by the original importer for their customer?? almost every fresh import i've seen hasnt been undersealed.

the factory applied stuff is like a very thick rough mastic and its applied very neatly, masked round holes/bungs etc, it has most definately not been done by back street Bob and doesn't resemble waxoil or any of the traditional bitumin based stuff you can buy from car shops over here, i did think this whole underseal thing was absolute nonsence until we got a Toyota pick-up at work, it was made for the middle east and somehow found itself on a power station in the north of England, it even had some documentation in hieroglyphics ;) and low and behold it did not have any underseal so these things do happen

Supras don't rust anyway. I've never seen any rust on a Supra unless it was poorly accident-repaired or had had a body kit screwed onto it.

Fully galvanised body, innit. I guess the seams might eventually be a weak point at some stage but they generally appear to be holding up very well.

You don't see many 1993 Ford/BMW/whatevers about, do you?

I believe that, although the Japanese do have snow, they don't have our mad love affair with salting and gritting the roads as soon as the temperature wavers below warm. That alone makes a fresh import far more desirable to me than many a UK model, or imports that have been here for years.

i have heard this as well Chris with regard to our joy at spreading caustic metal rotting salt everywhere, it makes you wonder how the Japanese get on without it :search:, maybe its a radical idea but perhaps they just slow down a bit, they also seem to manage without sticking extra rear fog lights on their cars as well

I'm picking up my supra in a few weeks.

It's a '98 model, I've been told it doesn't have underseal but from this thread is it possible that it does?

Even if it proves to have it should I do it anyway? Rely on the manufacturer one and wait for the summer to do it again or do it ASAP (during the winter)?

Jeez... that's a lot of question marks! haha :D

I still stand by my word that they arnt undersealed from factory, and if they are it's such a light coating that it wouldnt offer much protection after a few years, I agree with CW that the underside should be throughly cleaned and done in spring/summer.

I've seen over 100 fresh imports on go on the ramp and I've had 5 of my own undersealed,3 skylines,2 mr2's,evo

A proper underseal would be a days labour so would expect to pay near to £300

a good thread here on dw on a guys fresh import 180sx

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drifting-chat/71769-i-love-my-180sx.html

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

is your car coming from Jurgen?(looks like it from the avatar pic) I thought he did this as a service? :) most import companies do so once he gets the car it would be one of the first things done after MOT and it should be nice and dry being fresh of the boat :)

It is coming from Jurgen and he can provide the service. He highly recomends it as well, great guy!

I DO NOT want to question anyone's work quality but I do have an interest on getting the best there is for my car. I know there are several different brands of underseal, levels of thoroughness and quality of tooling.

The guys at rustmaster ask a bit over 3x more than Jurgen. Sometimes price differences are due to speculation, others due to higher cost of materials tools and facilities. Again, I'm not implying anything, and don't really know in what category this case fits in best, but being virtually impossible to know what is what and at least with the more expensive I have peace of mind...

Which I guess is like asking Jurgen to raise the price of their service. A tad stupid, isn't it!? :(

Confused... Just want the best for the supra.