The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aberdeen Servicing

monsween

Depends what you're getting done. If you look in the file I've attached the 60,000 mile service is a big one.

I got quoted about 100 quid for a cambelt change (not from Wallace) but I already have the cambelt itself which is about ~40 quid.

If it's just your standard oil & filter change i'd say that was a bit much, especially considering it doesn't include parts!

Supra Service Schedule.PDF

I know what you mean, I ended up doing an oil & filter, spark plug, and coolant change myself. The cambelt still needs doing though and i'm not doing that myself.

There's japperformance in Ellon as well but they seem to get mixed reviews. It's a shame we don't have Chris Wilson/Whifbitz type people up here.

Get the parts direct from toyota aberdeen. Ask for Brian and say you are from the club and he will give you the club discount. Wallace will be fine for the service and if you supply the parts you will obviously just pay the hourly rate. I would use Wallace for any servicing needs and basic repairs but anything more specific I would be prepared to travel and go to Darlington to see Michel Lane and his mad mechanic Ian.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told Toyota aberdeen wouldnt touch mine when i wanted some work done on it earlier this year. I had a turbo issue and they claimed they need a whole new set of tools to work on the car and they weren't going to buy them for one car.

I thought this excuse was a whole lot of s**t so im never gonna take it there lol

Took it to Hypertech in the end and they were top notch. Recomend to anyone!

Same here in a way. I'll get parts from Toyota Aberdeen, but almost regardless of their reputation, will NOT trust my car, especially a car like a Supra, with a main dealer. I don't even trust my little 1.2 Seat Ibiza with the main dealer. Do you know if Hypertech do courtesy cars mate :)?

Hi Monsween,

If I'm reading your situation right, I think your estimate of £600 for the cam belt change and service is a bit of the "if he's desperate and got lots of money he'll pay what I'm asking".

That is frankly a ridiculous amount of money for the work that's necessary to do a cam-belt.

Have you contacted the Lexus dealer in Aberfreeze and asked them for a quote?....at least you will have a comparative cost to go on.

There is nothing special in the timing gear on the Supra, its a case of lining up the cam wheels with marks on the casing and ditto with the crank pulley......these marks will line up before you remove the old belt and fitting the new belt only requires that you ensure the marks are aligned with the tensioner in place. Its not rocket science so doesnt need big money to do it.

There is a "damper" on the tensioner which will need to be at least looked at and possibly replaced......are you sure that your garage really knows what they will be doing...............personally I think you are being taken for a ride!!!!

If you want some info give me a call, I'm in Peterhead and can give you a look at the workshop manual orgive you a copy on disc if you dont have already. A basic service (oil change, filters plugs etc should cost you...Oil £30, Oil filter £10, air filter £20, plugs about £5 each(£30)..... about £90 for parts and about 1.5 Hours max. So if your garage is charging about £60 an hour that a totsal of £180 for the service and £420 for the belt change!!!!!!!

Nuff said!!!!

Rgds

George

Let me quote from the service manual "Replace the timing belt every 72 Months or 60000 miles if the vehicle is operated under SEVERE SERVICE conditions such as frequent idling or extensive long distance driving at low speeds".

Under the "Normal Service " heading, replacement of the timing belt is noted as only under "severe service" at 60K miles, but otherwise there is no other reference to its changeout other than again at 120,000 miles

No worries mate, i actually got the whole thing done for 420quid lol.

They didnt change the spark plugs as there was something they couldnt get off to get to the plugs without breaking it. Im not entirely sure but he said he didnt want to risk it as i needed the car that evening.

Overall i was very impressed with hypertech, asked me lots of questions about the car and generally seemed interested, rather than the usuall sh*t u get. I dont mind paying a bit extra for work done to the car as long as i know its in good hands

Yep i did call Lexus and they told me they couldnt do it just to call Toyota.

I was thourgholy pissed off with them. Even parts i'll be buying aftermarket ones even if they are more expesive than toyota ones. Never getting my business.

Cheers for the reply :D

Also i may take you up on a wee trip to peterhead for a copy of that manual :D